Problem with Halogen Track Light

Old 12-05-07, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with Halogen Track Light

I have a weird problem and hope that someone can help me.

I installed Halogen Track Light with three hanging pendants. The setup worked for about two years. About a month ago I shortened one of the pendant cables, and the setup still worked.

About two weeks ago, the middle light went off and I thought the lamp burnt out. I replaced it with new halogen lamp, but it still doesn't light up. I put the new lamp to the other working pendant, and the new lamp works . So, I thought may be I can fix this later.

About two days ago, another light went off, so now only one stays on. I thought, may be the halogen lamp burnt out. I checked the lamp and it wasn't burnt out. I put that lamp to the only remaining pendant, and the lamp works .

I checked the current in the pendant that doesn't work, and I found current in it .

Any help, clues, hints will be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-07, 08:44 PM
"I checked the current in the pendant that doesn't work, and I found current in it."

You'll have to explain this statement to me. What exactly did you test?

Old 12-05-07, 09:34 PM
You might try moving the lights back and forth on the track. They might be oxidized and/or dusty; like the volume control on a stereo. Just an idea, Iím not an expert.

Old 12-08-07, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
"I checked the current in the pendant that doesn't work, and I found current in it."

You'll have to explain this statement to me. What exactly did you test?
Thanks for replying.

I am not an electrical expert. I used Analog Multimeter in AC mode at 50V, and got a reading of about 12V when I put the tester prongs into the small holes in the pendant where the 2 legs of Halogen lamp should be inserted.

I hope this make sense.....

I was just about to take a picture of the holes (with the working light switched on), and when I lifted the light pendant, the lamp that wasn't working is turned on.

I think I know what happened. I'll need to check the coaxial cable that hangs the pendant. It could be that the outer cable that connects to the tracklight jack was slightly sliding down due to gravity (and probably improper initial setup). When I lifted up the pendant for testing, there was current since in a way I lifted the outer cable to be connected to the jack. When I completely hang the pendant down to test the light, the light wasn't turned on due to the sliding outer cable.

I hope this make sense. I think I got the answer.

Thanks also to previous poster!