Half of lights in new light fixture not turning on!!

Old 12-05-07, 08:58 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Half of lights in new light fixture not turning on!!

I replaced a light fixture in my entry way today. It is a chandelier 6 CFL type. When I flip the switch to on, only 3 of the six will come on. If I then temporarily remove the 3 nonworking ones and put them back in place, they all work. I can then turn the fixture on and off and they work fine unless I leave it off for more than five minutes; then I'm back to my original problem with only 3 coming on. What is the problem here? Thanks for the input..

Old 12-05-07, 09:31 PM
S
The tabs at the bottom of the socks might need to be bent (towards where the light goes) slightly. There could also be a loose connection inside the fixture; or if the fixture had 2 or more wires that you hardwired to the house wiring, they could be loose.

Old 12-05-07, 09:32 PM
J
Perhaps the bulbs are not making reliable contact with the socket. Turn off the circuit breaker (not just the wall switch!!), remove the bulbs, and gently pull the tab at the bottom of the socket up a bit.

Old 12-06-07, 05:07 AM
C
I will try these suggestions... I should also point out that of the 3 that dont work, two of them will try and work when you turn the light switch on, - they blink like a floresent does coming on but they then turn off. It almost like there is just not enough juice to light the things up. Im pretty sure its not a loose connection between my wiring, I was pretty careful there. any more comments??

Old 12-06-07, 05:46 AM
R
Are you suire that the bulbs are working?

How many wires did you have to connect together to install the fixture, and did you connect them properly?

You don;t have a dimmer in place right? This is a traditional toggle switch?

Old 12-06-07, 07:49 AM
J
Try swapping one or more of the troublesome bulbs with one or more of the troublefree bulbs. See if the problem moves with the bulb or stays with the socket.

Old 12-06-07, 05:02 PM
C
nope, the problem does not move with the bulbs. Its kinda weird how all the bulbs try to come on with a cold start but only 3 will stay on. Once i take out and replace the nonworking bulbs they will work. Once "hot" i can turn on and off the fixture with no problems. This was a 3 wire connection, black, white, and ground and no dimming.

Thanks for any more help you can give me!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: