Class II transformer for 12V under cabinet lighting


Old 12-14-07, 05:59 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago land
Posts: 681
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Class II transformer for 12V under cabinet lighting


I selected WAC HR-86 12 V under cabinet lights. I need some help to select the transformer. The lights call for class II transformer. What is the difference between class II and not?

Does it matter if it is class II if I use an enclosed transformer?
E.g. EN-12100-RB-AR
All the enclosed class II have for every 60W a separate wire-set:
I was hoping to run one wire for 5 lights (each 20W).
Old 12-15-07, 05:51 AM
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,233
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the lights call for a Class II transformer then that's what you should get.

The statement on the website, "Class II transformers are designed to be intrinsically safe" means that there is no direct connection in Class II low-voltage devices between the low-voltage side of the wiring and the electrical ground.

In a typical kitchen, the metal parts of the stove, fridge, microwave and sink are grounded. Without a Class II transformer, your under-cab lights could present a new path to ground through you, if you happen to touch both a metal part of a light and any of the other appliances. If that happens, the voltage could be a whole lot more than 12 volts.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: