pulling my hair out...anyone have a diagram???

Old 12-16-07, 01:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pulling my hair out...anyone have a diagram???

I am trying to wire a ceiling fan with a remote control that came with the hunter douglas fan.

The home has 1 swithc on the wall that controls the light and another that controls the fan...4 speed.

In the ceiling I have 1 blk, 1 white and a red. I want to wire the unit so I can still use the light switch on the wall to control the light and I could really care less about still using the fan control on the wall. if it works that way then cool...if not, no worries.

To add, the light switch on the wall is a dimmer...will that mess me up?

Summary: want to wire a the fan so I can control the light with the switch on the wall and the remote. Would if I could still use the fan control on the wall as well but that is not that important to me.

Thanks all!!!

Dave

Old 12-16-07, 06:29 AM
R
You can't. You need more wires from the switch to the panel. If there are mote you haven't told us about great, tell us what they are. If not, is the setup such that you feel that you can replace the cable between the switches and the fan?

Old 12-16-07, 11:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Dave,

The switch on the wall will override the remote, ie if the wall switch is off the remote will not work the light. Is this what you want?

As far as the fan you only want to use the remote if I read your post correctly. Is this correct?

Old 12-16-07, 03:59 PM
J
I've typed the following so many times, I think I should have saved it somewhere.

First, I'm going to temporarily ignore the fact that you have two switches. Treat this the same as if you had only one. That's because the remote receiver only has one power input, so it can only effectively use one switch. You can, if you want, connect both switch wires to the remote input, but that just means that you can supply it power with either or both switches.

Most remote receivers have a default setting of fan-off/light-off. This is the setting they revert to when power is restored after a power outage. The wall switch essentially creates a power outage.

A few remote receivers, such as the Hunter All-Fan model, have a default setting of fan-off/light-on. With such a remote, the light will always come on when you turn on the wall switch. So let's cover a few common scenarios with the All-Fan remote:

(1) You walk into the dark room and the fan and light are both off. So is the wall switch. You turn on the wall switch and the light comes on. If you also want the fan on, use the remote. If you want the fan on but the light off, then use the remote for that too.

(2) You walk into the dark room and the fan and light are both off. But the wall switch is on. That's because when the last person left, he turned off the fan and the light with the remote rather than the wall switch. So you can turn off the wall switch, wait about 10 seconds for the receiver to reset, and turn it back on. The light will come on but the fan will not.

(3) When you go on vacation, try to remember to turn off the wall switch. That's because if you were to have a power failure while you were gone, and then power was restored, you'd come home to find the light already on. The instructions with the All-Fan tell you to turn off the power if you're not going to be using it for a long time, but they don't really explain why.

There are a few other options. You could bypass the receiver with the switch that controls the light, running its wire directly to the fan's light supply. Then the switch would directly control the light and the remote would be able to control the fan but not the light.

You could buy two remote receivers and set both to the same code. Connect one switch wire to the input of each receiver, and use the light output from one and the fan output from the other. I think you could then figure out how this would work, both with an All-Fan remote and with an ordinary one. The operation would be pretty goofy, but perhaps you'd get used to it.

Old 12-16-07, 09:28 PM
S
Thanks to all for replying...

Can anyone please walk me through killing the fan control on the wall. I am pretty sure I have 1 blk, 1 white, 1 red and a ground. All I want to do is be able to control the light with yje one wall switch and control the fan with the remote. As I have it now you need to have the fan control on the wall in the 1st position in order to get the entire unit working.

The question here is how do I kill the fan control on the wall...at this moment the red wire is going to the OUT portion of the fan remote receiver...the 2 blue wires. I think this is my problem.

Lets just act like I'm an idiot and I need to kill the fan control on the wall and wire up the unit so I can use the wall switch to control the light and the remote to control the fan.

Thanks again to all!!!

Last edited by superdave89012s; 12-16-07 at 09:33 PM. Reason: brain fart!!!
Old 12-17-07, 08:37 AM
J
First thing to do is to move from "pretty sure" to "completely sure".

Second thing to do is to tell us the make and model number of this switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: