converting 2-pin to 4-pin plug-in CFL?

Old 12-16-07, 05:01 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
converting 2-pin to 4-pin plug-in CFL?

Hi, I have a 2-pin plug in CFL light can fixture in a bathroom that I'd like to put out more light. the 2-pin CFL's are limited to 13Watts. The 4-pins go up to 26Watts. I've researched and understand which 4-pin plug I need and have purchased 2. I do not understand how to wire them however. The 2-pin has two plug-in connectors for the common and hot wire.

On the 4-pin, for each pin pair there is a single hole and a double hole. Using the 2 single holes for hot and common I was able to get power to the plug, but it's not correctly wired as the bulb does not light.

Questions:
1. Is it impossible to retro-fit a 2-pin CFL plug-in style recessed can light with a 4-pin CFL plug-in lampholder?
2. If possible, what's the correct way to wire the 4-pin lamplholder?
Thanks,
jeff

Old 12-16-07, 06:59 PM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
You need to verify the ballast can handle the higher wattage lamp.

Old 12-16-07, 07:08 PM
F
To order change from 2 pin to 4 pin lamp holder there is pretty good numbers of base it come in at least 10 diffrent style and the ballast as well.

to order to work right you have to follow the wiring connection diagram very carefully i just can't tell you on the monitor because there is about a dozen diffrent connection style to hook up this luminaire.

not all big box store may have the correct 4 pin socket on hand so you may have to look around a little other wise stop at the lighting store or electrical supply centre one of the two useally have it on hand.

Merci, Marc

Old 12-16-07, 07:56 PM
G
Thank you for the replies.
Here's the lampholder I purchased and I can get matching 26Watt bulbs locally: GX24-q3 base

What's odd is that inside the fixture, on the metal bracket that holds the cover and pulls down, it says, paraphrasing, only use 26 or 32 Watt tri-bulb CFL's. It also says that 60Watts is the max to avoid fire. However the lampholder in the fixure is a 2-pin which maxes out at 13 Watts, in a bulb size that will fit in the can with cover on. This fixture is above a shower, so must be used with the cover on.

I'm guessing this means that the ballast can handle 26 Watts.

As to wiring. In the picture linked above, you can see the metal bracket that hold the central part of the bulb. Up and to the right, you see a rectangular opening and a round one below it for the 2 pins on one side of the bulb. ON the back side, the rectangular one has two push-in wire openings. ON the back side of the round one there is a single push-in wire opening. For the 2 pins on the other side, the connections are switched. Here are pictures of the front FRONT and BACK.

Best,
jeff

Old 12-17-07, 09:37 AM
J
You still should check the ballast. Someone could have changed it for the 13 watt lamp. The ballast will have a wiring diagram on it showing exactly how to connect it to the socket.

Old 12-17-07, 10:53 AM
G
Thanks joed,

For canned recessed lights that are inaccessible (it's in between the first and second floors), should there be access to the ballast from inside the can?

Thanks for the great advice so far,
jeff

Old 12-17-07, 05:06 PM
J
If you remove the trim you should be able to get to the ballast and the socket through the hole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: