Sorting out the wires for my ceiling fan

Old 12-18-07, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sorting out the wires for my ceiling fan

Hi,
I'm installing a new ceiling fan into a house we just moved into and the wires don't quite match up. The fan will be a fan/light combo.

The fan is a Hunter fan with a black, white, and black/white wire.

The ceiling contains a red, black, and white wire.

The switch that controls this outlet has a black and red wire connected to a standard light switch, and then a capped off white wire.

I'm not exactly sure which wires to connect to what. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-07, 07:42 AM
Thank you for providing such clear and concise information. That's a rare skill around here.

At your ceiling, connect the red wire from the ceiling to the black/white wire from the fan. Just match colors on the other wires.

Old 12-18-07, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
Thank you for providing such clear and concise information. That's a rare skill around here.

At your ceiling, connect the red wire from the ceiling to the black/white wire from the fan. Just match colors on the other wires.
That's what I figured, but didn't want to just make assumptions!

Next question:
I intend on installing a combo fan/light switch on the wall. The switch has a yellow, red, and black wire.

Again, my wall has a black, white, and red wire.

What do I connect?

Old 12-18-07, 07:48 AM
Note that John's instructions will make the light switched and the fan always on (to be controlled by the pull cords).

If you want something different, the directions will be different. If you want the fan and the light switched separately, you will need to replace the switch with a duplex switch and do some rewiring.

EDIT: You posted as I was typing. You will have to make changes at the ceiling, and John's instructions are no longer correct. Tell us ALL the wiring at the ceiling in complete detail.

Last edited by racraft; 12-18-07 at 07:52 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-18-07, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Note that John's instructions will make the light switched and the fan always on (to be controlled by the pull cords).

If you want something different, the directions will be different. If you want the fan and the light switched separately, you will need to replace the switch with a duplex switch and do some rewiring.

EDIT: You posted as I was typing. You will have to make changes at the ceiling, and John's instructions are no longer correct. Tell us ALL the wiring at the ceiling in complete detail.
The wiring in the ceiling is:
Black
White
Red
Green (which I know is ground)

Old 12-18-07, 08:28 AM
There are more wires somewhere. Either there are more wires in the ceiling or there are more wires at the switch. We need to know everything.

Old 12-18-07, 08:31 AM
There are more wires somewhere. Either there are more wires in the ceiling or there are more wires at the switch. We need to know everything.
What should I be looking for?

The wall switch actually has two switches, one hooked to black and white, and one hooked to black and red. There is also another white capped off. The black and red combo controlled the fan and light before I took the previously fan/light. It was controlled with a remote control.

Old 12-18-07, 10:33 AM
Here's a picture of the switch box. The switch on the right controlled the previous fan and light, the switch on the left is a mystery switch that I expect controls 1/2 of one of the sockets in the room.

[IMG]http://i14.************/6prgk90.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i6.************/81gbhpf.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-18-07, 11:19 AM
Well at least you have clarified things. In your original post you were unclear as to what was going on.

The white wire is NOT capped off. It is capped with other white wires, and is a neutral wire.

The black and red wire connected to the switch are from different cables.

Power runs through the switch box.

The red wire will get connected to one output of your new switch.

The black wire from the same cable as the red wire will get connected to the other output of your new switch.

The input wire to your new switch gets connected to the same location as the black wire feeding the present switch.

Old 12-18-07, 02:27 PM
In your original post you were unclear as to what was going on.
Darn! And after I complemented him for being clear and concise. He was clear and concise, just not complete. Maybe too concise.