New exhaust fan with larger grill to cover stain?

Old 12-19-07, 03:30 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New exhaust fan with larger grill to cover stain?

I am visiting my father for the holidays, and am trying to help him get ready to sell his house in the spring. The guest bathroom fan used to have a condensation leak that caused the popcorn immediately around the fan to discolor and peel. We would like to get a new fan that has the same size hole, but a larger grill that would cover the discolored area. I would prefer to not have to cut a new hole for the larger fan. Is this option possible?

thanks!

Old 12-19-07, 03:45 PM
S
I don't have an answer to your question, but I would suggest replacing the exhaust pipe with one that is insulated to avoid this problem in the future. You may be able to use primer (to block the stain) and a can of texture spray to fix the ceiling. Good luck.

Old 12-19-07, 06:53 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't know whether or not you can find a larger grill, but I'm not sure about your reluctance to cut a larger hole. Cutting a smaller hole is hard, but cutting a larger hole only takes a minute.

Old 12-20-07, 04:12 AM
R
Does the fan work? Replacing it may be an unnecessary expense. Another option is to repair the area around the grill. Spackle or drywall mud is cheap, and popcorn ceiling patch is available in a spray can.

Old 12-21-07, 07:03 PM
J
I may try the repair, and only do the larger hole if it does not work. If I need to cut the hole larger, what is the best way to make a clean cut through the popcorn? Score with a knife first?

Old 12-21-07, 07:28 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just a heads up since the house will be going on the market soon: get the popcorn texture material tested first. Older "Popcorn" ceiling texture coatings are a possible asbestos containing material (ACM) - they stopped making asbestos-containing spray-on texture in 1978, but it kept going up for years thereafter 'till the applicators had run through inventory.

If so, and there is a buyer's home inspection, the inspector will spot it, and you are better off being prepared for a concerned buyer if it is asbestos, or with a clean test report in hand to demonstrate that it is not.

Old 12-22-07, 04:54 PM
J
A $6 drywall saw makes quick and easy work of cutting holes in drywall. Be careful not to cut any wires.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: