porcelain lamp holders

Old 12-24-07, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
porcelain lamp holders

A very basic question regarding those porcelain lamp holders. I'm planning on putting some of them up in my unfinished detached garage. I noticed the lampholders do not have a ground screw. I have already put up plastic boxes so the ground cant go there. Do I just wirenut the grounds together in the box and not attach them to the fixture? Do they make these type of fixtures with a ground screw? They will not be the pull chain type.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-07, 04:02 AM
These fixtures have no ground screw because they do not need a ground. They have no exposed metal parts to be grounded. If they added a ground screw, it would serve no purpose except to increase the price of the fixture.

Connect any and all ground wires together in the box. If it is an end of line light, with only a single ground wire then carefully tuck it to the back of the box out of the way.

Old 12-25-07, 05:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
You might want to rethink using porcelain lamp holders. The cheaper plastic ones look just as good and are a LOT easier to install - no worry of over tightning the screws and cracking the porcelain.

Old 12-26-07, 08:00 AM
But the porcelain fixtures typically allow larger wattage bulbs than the plastic fixtures.

Old 12-26-07, 01:39 PM
The exposed-bulb fixtures in my garage went away. They were constantly getting smacked. Broom handles, ladders, chunks of 2x4's, and other long things that were lifted too high would regularly send me searching for flashlight, fresh light bulb, and needle-nose pliers.

They were replaced by fluorescent fixtures with mesh lamp protectors. They were quite a bit more expensive to install. However, combined, they put out more light and use less wattage than the inky's.

Maybe I should have just learned to look up.