recommended distance between ceiling fans?

Old 12-29-07, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
recommended distance between ceiling fans?

We're renovating a double garage into a small apartment & installing 2 ceiling fans. (one big room - no walls in this particular area) The guy doing the electrical has the electrical boxes @ 6 feet apart.
My question is: Is there a "recommended" distance I should have between two ceiling fans in the same room? For some reason I have in my head that if they're installed too close the blades could warp - but can't recall where I read that or dreamed it!!!! Any advice out there? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-07, 07:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It was a dream. Warping isn't a problem of being too close together. "Hitting" each other is. So a minimum of 54" is needed, and your 6' is good. A good way of doing it is to divide the long dimension of the room by 3 and place the fans at that distance from each end wall. So if your garage is 18' long, setting them 6' from the end wall will be equidistant from each other and from the walls.

Old 12-29-07, 10:31 PM
Rather than dividing the room into thirds, I prefer to divide the room into two equal halves, and putting one fan in the center of each half.

Old 12-30-07, 04:29 AM
Duplicate posting.

Old 12-30-07, 04:33 AM
John's right. In reality you are dividing the room into thirds (lines that is), but half of a half will give the proper dimensions. You do these things every day, and just can't put them into equations on paper properly. Thanks John.

Old 12-30-07, 09:01 AM
BTW, one thing to keep in mind when laying out the boxes for ceiling fans, especially if you are also installing the interconnected AC powered smoke alarms required by current codes, is that the alarm manufactures typically prohibit alarm installation above or within 3 feet of the path of the tips of a ceiling fan’s blades, see for example “Locations to Avoid” here:

http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/ws-384/As...1183_Rev_B.pdf

This is a frequently observed problem during home inspections of new construction, remodels, and condo conversions here in Chicago, and it can be expensive and disruptive to correct after the fact.