Three-way switch replacement in lamp

Old 01-07-08, 10:46 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Three-way switch replacement in lamp

I replaced a three-way switch in a table lamp that had one that would not turn over the weekend. When I tested it, the switch turns fine and steps up with each turn of the switch but the light flickers and I hear a faint crackling sound from the bulb. It not a fluke because this has happened to me with another lamp.
It is just two wires connected to the switches screw terminals. What did I do wrong or what should I look for? Thanks.

Old 01-07-08, 04:28 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I bought the cheapest 3-way bulbs I could find and they did the same thing. They don't seem to fit into the socket properly. Since I replaced them with name brands they've been working fine.

Old 01-07-08, 05:06 PM
M
I used a Sylvania 50/200/250. It is the same bulb that was in the lamp before I changed the 3-way switch.
How can it be the bulb.

Old 01-07-08, 05:35 PM
A
check screw terminals

When you hooked the lamp back up did you make sure that you have a good connection under the screw terminal with the wire? Whether it is aluminum or copper make sure that you have a good tight connection. Tug on the wire after you tighten the screw to make sure it is not loose. The lamp should not be the problem.b

Old 01-07-08, 07:06 PM
J
It may be that you have no problem at all. The symptoms you cite could just be the characteristics of the new switch.

Old 01-08-08, 05:49 AM
M
Originally Posted by abbyandutta View Post
When you hooked the lamp back up did you make sure that you have a good connection under the screw terminal with the wire? Whether it is aluminum or copper make sure that you have a good tight connection. Tug on the wire after you tighten the screw to make sure it is not loose. The lamp should not be the problem.b
Yes, the wiring is firmly attached under the screws.

Old 01-08-08, 05:56 AM
M
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
It may be that you have no problem at all. The symptoms you cite could just be the characteristics of the new switch.
Now all last evening there was no ocassional flicker or crackle. The switch is the same brand, both bought at Home Depot but a year apart.
After not being able to solve it in the previous table lamps, I just bought new lamps. I know... an expensive solution. That is why I was surprised to have the same issue after change the 3-way switch on the new lamp.
If it does is again, I will let you know.
Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised as the project started of by losing a new switch still in it's package... a victim of chewing by our one year old puppy... the same dog that prefers the metal end when chewing pencils. Bad dog!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: