Install light fixture on an angle

Old 01-09-08, 09:46 AM
VMH
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install light fixture on an angle

Hello:
In our bathroom we have a light fixture that consists of a strip with 5 globe bulbs. We want to change the fixture however on the part of the wall where the electric box is is on a slant. The wall comes up vertically about 6' then goes at a 30 degree or less angle for about 2 feet up to the ceiling. The electric box for the light fixture is located about 6 inches up the slant.
The new light fixture does not look right if it were to be installed at this angle. How do I install it on the existing light box but have it parallel to the wall. (The fixture does not have place to rotate any parts to adjust.) You can see a picture of the existing light fixture and the desired light fixture at http://picasaweb.google.com/ozinwichita/BathroomRemodel

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-08, 09:52 AM
You'll have to build the wall out.

Old 01-09-08, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
angle fixture

Hey VMH
I know what I'd do to mount the fixture, but someone else would have to tell you how to wire it.

I'd build an open backed triangular box out of wood, the right width to fit with the light. Mount the box to the wall so the front of it is plumb. You choose the mounting method that works best for you. Then mount the fixture to the box. You could paint it the same color as the wall.

A little difficult to describe, but I hope you understand. Now, as to bringing the wires thru the open space inside the box, back to the junction box in the wall? Maybe someone else will throw in.

Old 01-09-08, 11:29 AM
Received 111 Votes on 101 Posts
Gunguy45's idea would work except you would need to move the electrical box so that it was flush with the front of the new wood box. You can't use the wood box as the connection box for the wires.

Old 01-09-08, 11:53 AM
But you can install the electrical box into the wood box, and just run the NM-cable out a hole in the existing drywall and into the new electrical box (if it is long enough). Or you can use that junction box as a junction box, as long as the wood box you make is easily removed (ie not permanently attached to the wall).

Old 01-09-08, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Light

Thats what i was wondering Racraft, does the box in the wall have to be covered? Then how would you run the wire? Drill hole and put a clamp on it? Figured he could use a shallow box in the wood if necessary.

Old 01-09-08, 12:31 PM
If NM cable is in place, and if the NM cable is long enough to reach the new box installed in the wooden fixture box then the box in the wall is not needed. It can be left in the wall and ignored (for future use) or removed.

However, if the cable is not NM or is not long enough to reach into the new box, then either it needs to be rep[laced with a longer piece, or the junction box needs to be utilized as a real junction box. Yes, it needs a cover, but a cover could be install that has an internal clamp on it.