Adding Wireless Remote Control to Existing Ceiling Fan/Light

Old 01-11-08, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Wireless Remote Control to Existing Ceiling Fan/Light

I have an existing ceiling fan/light fixture that is currently controlled by a seperate on/off switch for the fan and a switch/dimmer.

Now what I like to do is replace the switch to the fan with the remote control so I can control the speed remotely. I am not necessarily wanting the remote to control the light, but if that is all I can do that will be OK.

When I look at the wiring to the fan/light coming from the ceiling I have a 14/3 black/white/red along with a ground. Here are the existing connections:
14/3 Wire Black - Black on Fan
14/3 Wire White - White on Fan
14/3 Wire Red - Blue on Fan
14/3 Gnd - Gnd on Fan

However; the remote control has got the following connections:

Black, White, Blue on one end and the other end has Black, White.

On the one end, the Black, White, Blue will connect to the fan/light.

On the other end, if the black is connected to the 14/3 black and the white is connected to the 14/3 white, what does the 14/3 red connect to?

I hope that makes sense.

I look forward to someone's assistance.

Have a good day!

Thanks,

mmsj4

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-08, 04:25 PM
You need to use this remote for both the light and the fan.

Decide if you want the switches to be made inactive or if you want the on/off switch to be able to turn the entire unit on and off (this would be my choice).

If the on/off switch can be used to turn the entire unit on and off then you can easily turn it completely off for vacations, etc. You do, however, run the risk that someone will turn the switch off under normal use and you will have to turn the switch on to use the remote.

You could also replace the dimmer with a normal three way switch and then use both three way switches to allow the entire unit to be turned on and off...

Anyway, first decide what you want.

Old 01-12-08, 12:11 PM
Racraft thanks for the reply.

I believe/guess I want the on/off switches to turn the unit on/off. Then I will always leave on so the remote will control the unit.

So with that being said, do I just not connect the red wire to the remote sensor unit?

I look forward to hearing the response.

Have a good day!

Thanks,

Mark Bassett

Old 01-15-08, 08:01 PM
racraft,

Just checking to see if you have thought about my thread.

Or if anyone else has any thoughts that would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing responses.

Have a good day!

Thanks,

mmsj4

Old 01-16-08, 05:38 AM
Yes, if you want the switches to control the power in to the remote unit then connect the input of the remote unit to the red and white.

Old 01-16-08, 07:06 AM
Do I not connect the black? Just wire nut if off?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 01-16-08, 07:49 AM
I thinjk you know the answer to this if you think about it. it really is trivial, as you have stated ALL the necessary information.

Remove the dimmer and replace with a normal switch. You do not want a dimmer in the picture at all.

Then you make a determination. Do you want the two 3-way switches to control power to the remote unit, or just the single switch?

Connect the appropriate wire switched (I don't know which it is as you haven't told me, but you know, or you can figure it out) to the input to the remote unit. The remote unit also needs toe white wire.

Old 01-16-08, 02:21 PM
racraft -

I read your reply and noticed you were referring to a 3 way switch. I am not using a 3 way switch that I know of. So I reviewed the information below and forgot to inform you of this piece of information.

Existing:
"I have an existing ceiling fan/light fixture that is currently controlled by a seperate on/off switch for the fan and a switch/dimmer."

Should Be:
This should be "I have an existing ceiling fan/light fixture that is currently controlled by a seperate on/off switch for the fan and a switch/dimmer that is connected to the light."

So I actually have independent switches for the fan and the light. The light being a dimmer.

Now if I want to be able to have the remote control control just the fan is that possible? Or do all things still apply?

Thanks in advance.

mmsj4

Old 01-16-08, 02:35 PM
When you stated switch/dimmer, I assumed two three way switches, one being a dimmer, one being a normal three way switch.

That doesn't matter. My directions still apply.

Replace the dimmer with a regular switch and then pick one switch to control the input to the remote. Wire it's hot wire to the remote.

Or simply leave the dimmer in place and wire the regular switch's hot wire to the input of the remote. Do not wire the dimmer's hot wire to the remote.

Old 01-16-08, 02:41 PM
Hot being through the switch so it would be the red, correct? Because red is the hot trace circuit, correct?

Old 01-16-08, 02:50 PM
You are going to have to figure it out. One of those wires comes from the dimmer, one comes from the regular switch. You haven't given me enough information to figure it out, and if you give me enough information you'll (hopefully) know the answer yourself.

Old 01-16-08, 03:04 PM
10 - 4

I respect that. Thanks for all your help.