Taking down the kitchen light

Old 01-11-08, 05:30 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Taking down the kitchen light

My husband was trying to take down the hideous light above our kitchen table. We only want to take it down and do not have plans to replace it. There were three wires coming from the hanging light, one skinny copper one, and two thicker copper ones covered in that gold plastic coating. And there are four wires in the ceiling, one skinny copper one, one black, one white, and a thicker wire that is actually a bundle of three wires(not sure what color they are). My husband took down the light and put the yellow caps on the four separate wires in the ceiling, turned the breakers back on and now the lights in the master bath, front and back porch lights and some outlets don't work. He also hit the reset buttons on the gfci outlets and still the lights and outlets I mentioned above are not working. Any idea what went wrong? Neither of us have knowledge of lighting/wiring and thought it would be a simple task and now are just trying to figure out how to fix it without having an electrician come out. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 01-11-08, 06:24 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Put all the wires back the way they were before you removed the light and cap separately only the two wires that were connected to the fixture. The bare ground wire can just pushed back into the box with the other bare wires.

Old 01-11-08, 06:54 PM
K
Thank you for your response joed. I'm still a little confused I guess b/c my husband doesn't remember which wires were connected where when he took down the light. Which wires were likely connected to the light fixture?

Old 01-11-08, 10:47 PM
R
You should not have touched the wires that were up in the ceiling box. The only wires you should have touched were the ones actually connected to the
light.

Now you are going to have to tell us ALL the wires in the ceiling and at the switch. Tell us what cables exist, what wires are in those cables and how those wires connect to anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: