Light fixture: Grounding necessary?

Old 01-15-08, 08:20 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light fixture: Grounding necessary?

I recently bought a halogen track light. I want to install it without hard-wiring it in, i.e. I just want to screw the fixture into the ceiling, and then use lamp cord and plug it into a wall outlet. I will be using a "cord switch" for switching it on and off. My question: the fixture has a grounding wire. How should I deal with that?
Choices: 1. Ignore it. 2. connect it to the white neutral wire at the fixture. 3. Have a ground wire running to the wall outlet.

Which is best to do? Or any other ideas? I don't want to "hard wire" it in, because I may only want it there for a while.

Thanks!
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-08, 08:26 AM
R
I don;t like this idea at all.

If you insist on this then at the very least use a three wire cord and plug so that the ground can be properly connected to a ground.

Never ever connect a ground wire to a neutral wire.

Old 01-15-08, 08:35 AM
D
Thanks for the quick response! Okay, it sounds like options 1 and 2 are out. Is there any problem with option 3 (using three wire cord to the outlet)?

Just for my own curiosity, what is the reason not to connect ground to neutral? Don't they get connected in the circuit breaker box? Or not? Just wondering.

Thanks again.

Old 01-15-08, 08:46 AM
R
The main panel is the ONLY place that the neutral and ground get connected. Should you connect them as you indicate (at the light), you would energize the metal track of the light. Someone touching the track could get killed.

Why I don't like your idea is that the cord will have to run along the ceiling and wall. This is unsafe.