Help Installing New Ceiling Light on Old-Style Outlet Box

Old 01-16-08, 08:43 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Installing New Ceiling Light on Old-Style Outlet Box

Hi,

I searched through all the posts I could find and found no reference to my problem:

I need to replace a ceiling mounted light fixture in a very old house, and the clearly ancient outlet box has no screw holes in which to mount the mounting bracket for the new fixture. There is a threaded tube in the center of the outlet box, but the bracket for the fixture has no accommodation for this as a fastening point.

The canopy for the old fixture was quite wide, and simply screwed right into the (fairly crappy) plaster on either side of the outlet box. I'm really not wanting to go that route.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-17-08, 04:19 AM
R
Replace the box.

Old 01-17-08, 06:20 AM
K
Thanks for the reply.

Certainly I thought of replacing the box, but that is my worst case scenario. With the several additional splices I'd be forced to contend with (with brittle cloth insulation), the apparently non-standard rigid conduit, and the tenuous surface plaster -- all while dangling off a ladder at the top of a 20' high stairwell -- it's a can of worms I'm trying to avoid.

This was only supposed to take 15 minutes, just to get light back in the stairs so my toddler doesn't fall down them -- now it looks like it's turning into a "project".

Old house = love/hate relationship.

Old 01-17-08, 06:24 AM
J
Received 521 Upvotes on 426 Posts
Then put the old light back up.
Replacing the box is really your only option. Is there an attic above? You might be able work easier from above in the attic.

Old 01-17-08, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
box replacement

hold on hold on...

Is the threaded tube you mentioned the standard 3/8 (?) brass tube like in table lamps?

If it is, then I know they make brackets that could be threaded on the tube, and they have sets of threaded holes at the ends, spaced the same as a std box.

I've had them packed in with light fixtures, exterior lights I think.

You could even make one pretty simply, just use a nut to hold it on the existing tube, as long as it protrudes past the ceiling enuf.

Just a thought.

Old 01-17-08, 06:37 AM
K
This all came about when the whole socket twisted right out of the thing while trying to change the bulb. It seemed like the best thing was to just replace it. (Plus I liked the idea of changing it to a 4ft pendant style so it would be easier to change the bulb in the future.)

I guess I'll have to see if I can find a stock replacement socket that will fit the old fixture, and back to home depot with the new light. Grr.

Old 01-17-08, 06:44 AM
K
Gunguy, actually I think I've seen the same in the past. Will look into it. Thanks.

Old 09-02-14, 01:33 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Thread closed. If you have a question or need similar help please start a new thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: