one recessed light occassionally turns off

Old 01-27-08, 06:42 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
one recessed light occassionally turns off

one recessed light out of 4 will turn off for a while (30 minutes plus or minus). Is there a heat breaker in the unit that could be faulty? There is no insulation over the can and the unit is between 5 and 8 years old. I am using 65 watt par 30 bulbs. should the fixture be replaced or can it be repaired?

Old 01-27-08, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It could be a bad thermo switch, but it could just as easily be insulation packed around a non IC can light fixture. Are all your fixtures IC rated?

Old 01-27-08, 07:21 PM
A
ic rating

These lights were installed after a lightning strike by a professional electrician covered by my homeowners insurance so I do not know what the rating on the fixture is. There is no insulation in the ceiling where this fixture is located. Where would I find this information. Is it on the fixture? I am a carpenter not an electrician but I do know basic wiring. If this is a thermo switch can I do this or should I hire some one.

Last edited by arfuss; 01-27-08 at 07:22 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-27-08, 07:30 PM
If these were installed after the ceiling was in place, then he used old work cans, and if you look along the edge you will see 3 black clips that, if pried toward the middle of the can will release it and it will drop down out of the hole. You can, then, either replace the can or the thermal switch, which is located most of the time in the top of the can.

Old 01-27-08, 07:34 PM
A
thanks

They were installed after the ceiling was put in. Is it cheaper and easier to replace the switch or the whole unit?

Old 01-28-08, 04:09 PM
Depends on the brand and the accessibility of the thermal sensor. Sometimes it is just as easy to change out the entire unit. Look up in yours and see if you can find the switch. Be aware it needs to be de-energized before you work on it.

Old 01-28-08, 09:33 PM
A
thanks

Thankyou for your help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: