replacing fan/light switch at wall with 3 switches

Old 02-06-08, 10:19 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing fan/light switch at wall

I have huge dilemma. I need to replace individual ceiling fan and light switches at wall with a combo fan dimmer/ light switch. My issue is there is also another switch for another light in the same box that needs to stay. I am also assuming that the wires somehow feed a few of the outlets in the room because they no longer work.

I have a total of 6 sets of wires. 2 red/black/white sets, 4 black/white sets. I have a pretty good idea what goes to what.

My "new" switch has black "hot" wire, red wire for fan, and yellow wire for light.

I read in one of the forums about someone that has my same issue under "Home Wiring Questions about Ceiling Fans" (the last question).
I am confused on how to "combine" all of my black wires together to attach to the hot wire on the switch? Do I just use a really big cap?? Do I "pigtail" (if that is the right word) 1 wire to the other so all 4 are together and then the last wire gets attached to the hot switch wire? How do I combine all of these wires with the other switch so that my plugs and other light switch still work.

Right now I have only 1 fan wire, 1 light wire and 1 hot wire attached to the new switch. It works great, but the other light in the box and the outlets are not working. I have the other "unused" wires capped off until I hear something from someone!!!

Please help quick, I am pretty smart I just need more specific details.

Thank You!!!

Last edited by Twinsmommyof4; 02-06-08 at 10:56 PM. Reason: title confusing
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 11:25 PM
G
Pull a hot from the fan to feed the other switches, etc., cause it feed from there in the first place.

Old 02-07-08, 08:12 AM
J
If you can tell us exactly how all this was connected before you touched it and while it was still working, we can probably sort this out. Otherwise, it will be very painful and lengthy, but we can still probably sort this out if you have some electrical test equipment.

Old 02-07-08, 10:06 AM
T
Well,

It was configured with 3 switches. I had to quickly remove them because one of the wires attached to the screw on the side of the light switch was arcing and burning the wire. The only thing I can say is that they were all 3 linked together in some way. I will go home later and look at it to describe it in detail, the stand alone light switch is still attached.

I will return later this evening... thank you sooooo much John Nelson.

PS, I have test equipment also.

Old 02-07-08, 03:06 PM
T
Ok,

I am at home and here is how it was configured.

LEGEND: Number = wire set---Letter = wire color from set
(note;all white wires are taken care of) in order as they appear in box (2sets-2 wire b/w, 1set-3 wire b/r/w, 2sets-2 wire b/w, 1set-3 wire b/r/w) b=black r=red

1b, 2b, 3rb, 4b, 5b, 6rb.

Switch 1 (recessed lighting)

1b to top slot, 2b to bottom screw, 3b to bottom slot.

Switch 2 (light to ceiling fan)

2b from switch 1 (tail) to I think top slot, 3r into top screw, 4b to bottom screw (arcing wire causing initial problem), 6b to I thin the bottom slot.

Switch 3 (fan to ceiling fan)

6r bottom screw, 4b from switch 2 (tail) to I think the bottom slot and 5b to the top slot.

I know for a fact that all of the "wire/screw" combinations are correct and the wires/slots are correct but I am not sure if I have the tops vs bottom slots correct. I am going by memory.

I hope this helps :-)

Old 02-07-08, 04:56 PM
L
If this is a bedroom or a living room, I'm guessing the three wire you have goes to the light/fan this would be on two single pole sw. the other sw. is to a half hot that control's a light on one of your walls. If this is correct take the feed (hot) connect three pig tails to it and connect one to each sw. If you still have wires left over connect them to the feed direct, they control recp's.

Old 02-07-08, 09:08 PM
J
You didn't mention the white wires, other than to make the confusing statement that they are "taken care of". May I infer that all six white wires are connected together?

Are all three switches ordinary single-pole switches? I.e., do all three switches say "on" and "off" on the switch lever? Or do any of the switches have a blank lever?

Old 02-07-08, 10:07 PM
T
I am sorry, yes, all of the white wires are connected together. All of the switches are single pole. And this is in my bedroom.

Thank you :-)

Old 02-08-08, 07:49 AM
J
Your situation is pretty confusing. I'll have to think on this a while.

Old 02-09-08, 08:48 PM
T
Exclamation

I am not going to use the "combo" switch any more. I think it will just be too much of a pain.

I tried to hook 3 new single pole switches to the same configuration I thought they were originally but they are not working the way they should. I also realized in the process that my #6 wire set (brw) is 12g not 14g like all of the other wire sets.

My #1 switch turns on and off the separate recessed lights just fine as it did before. My #2 switch now turns on and off fan and the other outlets/lights in the room. Switch #3 now turns on and off the light, fan and the other outlets as well. I want the outlets to always be on and #2 switch to turn on fan only and #3 switch to turn on light (on fan) only.

What am I doing wrong? The original set-up the middle of the wire exposed and wrapped around the screw with it's "tail" leading to the next sw. I changed this set up into a pigtail from those wires with 1 separate wire going to each switch instead of the "tails". I also had to wrap the 12 gage wires on the screw because they no longer fit in the slots of the new sw. Here is the new configuration.

Note: capitol A & B added are the pigtails off of the wire indicated.

1b to top slot, 2bA to bottom screw, 3b to bottom slot

4bA to top slot, 3r to top screw, 6b to bottom screw, 2bB to bottom slot

4bB to bottom slot, 5b to top slot, 6r to bottom screw, 5b to top slot

I sure hope you can help me!

Last edited by Twinsmommyof4; 02-09-08 at 08:50 PM. Reason: needed to change a word put in incorrectly
Old 02-10-08, 08:25 PM
J
I haven't forgotten about you. If anybody else has some ideas, please jump in.