Lights start off dim and then get bright

Old 02-09-08, 12:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lights start off dim and then get bright

I've noticed when I switch on the light in our garage, family room (next to the garage) and light outside in the front entrance the light is very dim and gradually gets brighter. This has been going on for about a month. At first I thought I was just overreacting (as I tend to do) but when my husband who notices nothing mentioned it I knew we had a problem.

I understand that this could indicate a serious problem such as a loose, broken or corroded neutral wire. My question is how much will this cost me to fix it? I know no one can really tell me an exact amount or know how serious or not serious my problem is but I'm just trying to get a rough figure so I know what to expect.

thanks
Melissa

Old 02-09-08, 01:53 AM
F
The most common curpit is loose netrual or weak connection.

if you and your husband is not really conftable with it you may have to get a electrician to come out and they can trace it and fix it pretty fast but cost wise i really cant say it on the forum because there is too much varieations to condersing it.

some repair can be very simple some can be compated

sound like you have a bad netrual connection on multiwire branch circuit. [ it is common and pretty safe if you understand the operation of it. but abuse it or get a bad connection on netural the voltage will go pretty wild depending on the load itself ]

I will let other members here chime in if they have some better idea to suggest.

but i will steal either Bob or John 's famous statement for a min

you have to map all the breaker to see where it goes and write it down it will really save your life one of the day and also make it more easier to troble shooting.

oh yeah make sure you know where is your GFCI repectales located [ i know some are semi hidden which it mean some area where you dont see not very often ] common found in Garage, basement , bathroom , outside repectales even near breaker box location and kitchen .

I own my bussiness and to give you the cost really it pretty much up to the electrician decided what they will charge most useally will charge XX amout for first hour then diffrent rate after that or few others [ most useally have 1 hour min service charge but some can adjust it if have to ]

Merci, Marc

Old 02-09-08, 08:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just a thought, too, if you are using Compact Fluorescent bulbs, they tend to do that anyway. It is their nature.

Old 02-10-08, 01:10 AM
D
Thanks for the info. Chandler, I am using Compact Fluorescent bulbs on all fixtures that have been acting up. wonder if i should switch then and see if I have the same problem. If the problem still exist then I'll get an electrician out.

Thanks again! I'll post any exciting outcomes.

-Melissa

Old 02-10-08, 03:08 AM
F
If you have CFL type they are normal to come on dim for a sec then warm up to full brightness espcally this is true with cold weather sisuation it kinda common for them take them few minutes to warm up to full brightness.

Merci, Marc

Old 02-10-08, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just from experience...some (cheaper) brands seem to take longer than others to come to full briteness. Guess its something to do with the circuitry in the base?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: