Can light recommendation for unfnished basement

Old 02-10-08, 11:02 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can light recommendation for unfnished basement

I'm making plans to lightly finish my basement. No sheetrock, just painted floors, walls, ceilings, and a few partition walls.

I went to the local Lowes to check out prices on can lights and was floored by all the options. I brought home a shallow 6" can made by Juno because I thought mounting them a bit highter in the joist, might make for a better look. But they are $18/each... I don't know if I really need to spend that much. They have some for $6. I'd rather spend less! It seems the only advantage might be that I can get a little brouder pattern of light by mounting them heigher in the joists.

My questions are;
Do I have have to IC rated cans? I won't have any insulation in there, but it will be mounted close to the sub-flor. How close to the subfloor above can it be mounted?

Also, I'm thinking about painting the fixtures when I spray the entire ceiling. Any problems with that?

Old 02-10-08, 07:19 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do I have have to IC rated cans?
IC cans cost a bit more, can have insulation contact, have smaller clearance requirements, and have more restrictive wattage limitations. Read the manufacturer's specifications to see what the clearance requirements are for the cans you are considering.

Also, I'm thinking about painting the fixtures when I spray the entire ceiling. Any problems with that?
Maybe. I'd advise against it. If in doubt, call the manufacturer and ask.

Old 02-13-08, 10:35 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I like that term "lightly finish the basement" because I had BIG plans to finish our basement but I might consider only painting, new lighting, and leaving the ceiling unfinished.

..I would check the company if you can paint them as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: