two lights with one switch

Old 02-25-08, 09:30 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
two lights with one switch

Help! I am installing two lights in a cattle shelter and just want one switch. Can I just run the wire from the switch (it is coming directly from the breaker box) to the first light and then through to the second light? Will that work or is it more tricky than that? Thanks for any and all help.

Old 02-25-08, 09:59 AM
S
Yes, that will work.

Just make sure the lights are connected in parallel and not in series. (Connect black wires to black wires of each fixture; white wires to white wire in each fixture; and ground wires connected in each fixture).

Old 02-25-08, 10:19 AM
What Strategery said. And please make sure to NOT connect any white wires to your switch, just one black wire on each terminal of the switch.

Normally I wouldn't even mention it, but this last week seemed to be the week for people creating short circuits that way around here.

Old 02-25-08, 01:25 PM
G
Okay so I connect the black from the power on one side and the black going to the first light fixture on the other, or both on the brass screws? Then I just tie the two whites together in the switch box and then on to the first light fixture. Then a black and a white to the second light. Is that right. One light is easy or just changing out plugs or switches or lights but this extra stuff is perplexing to me. "and I'm not even blonde" (NO OFFENSE MEANT TO ANYONE)

Old 02-25-08, 03:49 PM
P
A Simple Wiring of a Light Switch To ANY NUMBER of Bulbs (1500 Watts Max)

an easy installation of a light switch to control up to 20 x 100 watt bulbs - but use a good AC Switch

:mask:

Last edited by pdp8e; 02-25-08 at 03:53 PM. Reason: pix too big
Old 02-25-08, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=GloriaR;1320817]Okay so I connect the black from the power on one side and the black going to the first light fixture on the other/QUOTE]

Yes, just like that. Black from power on one screw. Black to the first fixture on the other screw. And connect the whites together in the switch box like you said. Since you say a single light is easy, yes you just start out by wiring the first light in the normal manner.

Then adding the second light is easy. Run wire from the first fixture to the second. In both fixtures, all backs get connected, and all whites get connected.

Old 02-26-08, 06:33 AM
G
Smile

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I'll let you know how it turns 'on'

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: