Ceiling Fan Noise

Old 02-27-08, 01:56 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Noise

I live in a newly built house. It will be one year old in April.The ceiling fan in the master bedroom just recently started making a noise. The fan has three speeds. I constantly hear a humming noise at all three speeds but I believe this is normal. On the fastest speed, the fan makes a different noise.It if turn it down to the second fastest speed, the noise goes away. It's almost like the blades are hitting something but it seems to be coming from inside the fan. It slows down, goes away for a few minutes but then comes back. Someone mentioned that it may need oil. I didn't think ceiling fans needed to be oiled. Does someone have an answer as to what this noise could be? Also, the fan does not seem to be secured properly. It is not flush against the ceiling but hangs done about a foot from the ceiling and it doesn't seem to be secure. You can move it from side to side with your hand. I probably shouldn't worry about this but the noise keeps me awake at night. Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks, Kathy

Old 02-27-08, 02:44 PM
L
Let's start with the moving back and forth this is normal. The unit is set in a mount that is on a ball, and it locks into a slot. Now if it is not in the slot the fan will be all over the place when it rotates. Another thing the blades could be loose, and this will give you problems, they can be tighten with a common screw driver. The hum could be from the electrical sw. if you have one that is not compatible to your fan.

Old 02-27-08, 02:49 PM
S
I've heard a humming from fans before when close to them, or when they are just starting, before the air movement covers it up, but never loud enough to be annoying.

A quick check on google says that some fans need to be oiled, others don't.

It sounds like your fan is on a downrod, which is usually designed to be moveable in case you have a vaulted ceiling. I'm assuming that the fan was installed when the house was built, and the room has at least 9' ceilings.

Old 02-27-08, 02:59 PM
K
Ceiling Fan Noise

It's not the humming noise that is bothersome, its the other noise that's more like a vibration. I will check the fan blades to be sure they are secure. Thank you both. The information you provided taught me a little about how these fans work.

Old 02-28-08, 07:39 PM
S
Just a few other ideas:

The holders for the fan blades (at least the cheap fans that I have) are easy to bend and can cause the blades to be out of alignment.

There are fan balancing kits out there, but to be honest, I've never used them. They seem work on trial and error (mostly error). Fans should be balanced, especially at high speeds.

Make sure the down rod is perfectly vertical. If it is off, the fan can run rough.

Ideally, your fan will have 5-6 blades. This will help it run smoother.

It's possible that the fan isn't secure to the ceiling box and/or is mounted to a box that's not fan rated. Does the vibration seem to travel across the ceiling?

Old 02-29-08, 05:51 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Fan Noise

Tighten the screws near the ceiling that hold the shroud in place. The shroud is probably vibrating.

Old 03-05-08, 10:14 AM
If it has light fixtures check them. Our fan made weird noises and it was the light bulbs/fxtures.

Hope this helps!!

Old 03-05-08, 12:57 PM
B
something else

Hello

Others here mentioned the switch, and this may not pertain to your problem but I hung an older 5-blade fan that I already had in storage on a newly converted garage ceiling and put it on a variable switch designed for fans, little did I know older fan motors were not designed for wall switches of this type thus I have a loud humming noice coming from my motor. After seeking help on this I was told that if I continued it would eventually burn the motor up.

I replaced the fan switch with a normal single pole switch and solved the problem can't even hear it running now.

Randy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: