Hunter fan remote bypass

Old 03-01-08, 05:35 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hunter fan remote bypass

I bought a Hunter Westside ceiling fan (model 21620) from Costco. I believe it is the same as the Hunter Palermo fan (model 21617). The fan comes with a remote control, which I would prefer not to use.

My wiring is a 12/3 cable from a wall-mounted 2-gang box to the ceiling fan box. On the wall is a regular on/off switch to control the light, plus a Leviton Vizia VZF01 fan speed control. In the cable, the black is for the fan, red is for the light, and white is neutral.

I downloaded install instructions for the Palermo fan (I didn't want to open the box in case of needing to return it). The instructions show black and white power inputs to the receiver, and four outputs from the receiver which are to be connected to the fan and light input wiring (black w/white tracer, grey, pink and yellow).

I am suspecting this is a bit more complex than just tossing out the receiver and making some set of connections from my 12/3 cable to the fan/light inputs. Does anyone have experience with eliminating the remote control from this type of Hunter fan? My wife finally chose a fan with the styling she likes, but we don't like remotes.

Thanks!!!

Old 04-17-08, 04:06 PM
Q
Smile Hunter ceiling fan rewiring

I was looking at the same ceiling fan and came across this wall mounted ceiling fan switch from Hunter at the following site:

http://stores.ebay.com/Super-Brand-N...dZ2QQpZ5QQtZkm

Take a look and see if that will work for you.

Good luck!

Qimaster3

Old 04-17-08, 07:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Can you please tell if the installer would need to make connections between the fan wires (blk/blk-w/wht/grd) and the remote output wires?

If you do this should be easy to do.

Old 04-18-08, 10:28 AM
G
The installer has six connections to make to the receiver: two are incoming power (black and white) and four are connections to the fan/light wires (grey, pink, yellow, black w/white tracer). Also, there is a neutral connection (white) directly to the fan/light wiring.

I am not sure what the four connections from the receiver to the fan/light each are for. I assume one must just be for the light, while the other three are related to the three fan speeds.

According to Hunter, the receiver contains speed-control capacitors.

Old 04-21-08, 02:10 PM
M
Hunter receiver

I am in the process of replacing my hunter fan reciever. You are correct on the complexity of the wiring. The extra wires for the fan speed control essentially bring a separate coil into action. I don't know the color coding but if you check it out with meter maybe you can figure out the pairing. You could then choose a single speed (say medium by tying two of the pairings together with you fan control wire.

Myself I like the remote control. My house wasn't wired for both fan and light control so this was a great alternative.

Old 04-22-08, 07:25 AM
J
I recently removed the remotes from two fans, a Hampton Bay and one other brand I can't recall at the moment. Neither was a Hunter, but this is probably doable in your case, too. There is a wireless receiver in the fan canopy that can be removed. One of the pros here will be able to help you with how to hook the wires up after you remove the receiver. One thing, write down or otherwise mark how the wires are hooked up before removing anything.

Old 06-23-08, 12:10 PM
U
Same issue - fan from Costco, house is wired for a light switch and a fan switch. It is a rental unite, so we do not want a remote to get lost.

I have found so far that the white and black with white stripe wires are for the light, and have bypassed the receiver, connecting them directly to my 12/3 - so the fan and light are on separate switches now. Unfortunately, cycling the 'fan' switch at the wall resets the receiver, and the fan does not spin until the remote is pressed - so we need to by pass that as well, and still have a moderate (not full) speed setting for the fan.

The 4 wires from the receiver pin out as follows:
yellow - neutral
pink - always hot
red, grey - alternately hot with reversing of fan.

The speed must be controlled by capacitors / resistance - not sure how to mimmick this in a hard wired setup.

Old 06-24-08, 10:31 AM
G
umh2oski - It sounds like you are making a bit of progress on this problem. I gave up on it a while back, and returned the fans to Costco.

I spoke to several knowledgable people at Hunter about this issue. I asked for a schematic or layout of the receiver so that I might be able to make modifications. They did not provide any information. The needed changes are not trivial, and for safety/liability reasons they do not want to encourage people to attempt them.

Two additional reasons caused me to give up the project. First, the Hunter people pointed out that the integrated receiver is what handles the fan reversing function. Most fans I have used have a separate switch to reverse the fan direction, but this fan handles this via the remote. The schemes I was considering to bypass the remote would end up not allowing me to use the fan in reverse (which I like to do in the winter months).

Secondly, I am installing the fans in new construction in California. Thus I need to comply with Title 24 rules. I was attracted to this fan because it has fluorescent lighting, which meets the Title 24 requirement (although so would incandescent on a dimmer). We notice very few fans like this on the market. But Hunter told me they are in the process of introducing many new Title 24 compliant models this year. So I am hoping something else will come along to meet our needs.

The other issue I raised with Hunter was whether using a remote control for the room light meets building code requirements for "wall switch-controlled" lighting. I doubt it, though this did not seem to concern them. Not an issue I feel like fighting my inspector about at the final inspection.

Good luck with your efforts - please post any progress.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: