How many recessed lights do I need?

Old 03-02-08, 09:15 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many recessed lights do I need?

Just looking for some opinions. I have a 12' X 19' family room that has no light fixture. I'm having an electrician put in recessed lights. I would guess two rows, maybe three lights each row, for a total of six lights. Do you think that will be enough?

Thanks for the input!

Old 03-02-08, 09:48 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Enough for what? What will this room be used for? How many windows, what size and what is their orientation?

Six recessed fixtures may be more than enough or it may be woefully inadequate.

Old 03-03-08, 09:11 AM
J
Okay, this is my family room, used for watching TV for the most part. Half of the room opens to the kitchen, so half of the room gets some light from the kitchen, and half does not. On the left wall is a fireplace, with nice size windows on either side. The wall opposite the kitchen has the TV and another two windows (four total windows in the room). Then there are two more walls that we have a couch and loveseat on.

Old 03-04-08, 03:57 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Keep in mind that the lights will reflect on the TV screen. It's really annoying, even when dimmed to almost nothing. If I had mine to do over, I would have put the lights in the center of the room on a separate switch and used wall-washes around the perimeter.

Old 03-04-08, 08:09 AM
J
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Keep in mind that the lights will reflect on the TV screen. It's really annoying, even when dimmed to almost nothing. If I had mine to do over, I would have put the lights in the center of the room on a separate switch and used wall-washes around the perimeter.
Good point! I was just thinking the same thing today. I was going to do two rows of three, meaning one of the middle ones would be right over the TV. So maybe two different switches is a good idea. The four "corner" lights on one switch, and the two in the middle on another. I suppose this will add to the cost somewhat.

The other option I had considered was having a fan with light kit installed in the middle of the ceiling. Depending on what type of lights the fan has, this may be less of a problem with the glare on the TV.

By the way, what do you mean by "wall-washes"? Are those just recessed lights with fish eyes angles toward the walls?

Old 03-04-08, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Watch that the fan blades do not overlap the cone of light from the recessed. You will get a strobe effect if they do.

Old 03-04-08, 10:15 AM
J
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Watch that the fan blades do not overlap the cone of light from the recessed. You will get a strobe effect if they do.
Good point.

Actually, I'm leaning toward either the fan or the 6 recessed lights. I think it will be too much to have both.

Old 03-04-08, 04:04 PM
R
Originally Posted by jumpyg View Post
By the way, what do you mean by "wall-washes"? Are those just recessed lights with fish eyes angles toward the walls?
The cup-shaped "trims" will prevent bleeding to the center of the room.

Photo courtesy pegasusassociates.com

A ceiling fan light is not a good idea. It's even more exposed and reflective than a recessed can, and your ceilings don't seem to be high enough to handle it. I'm guessing 8 feet from the photos?

Old 03-04-08, 04:10 PM
J
The cup-shaped "trims" will prevent bleeding to the center of the room.

Photo courtesy pegasusassociates.com

A ceiling fan light is not a good idea. It's even more exposed and reflective than a recessed can, and your ceilings don't seem to be high enough to handle it. I'm guessing 8 feet from the photos?
I should've mentioned that we have 9-foot ceilings.

I'm definitely leaning toward six recessed lights. Two rows of three. The middle two (one of which would be over the tv) will be controlled by a separate switch. How does that sound?

Old 03-04-08, 04:39 PM
R
Don't you mean "three rows of two"? Put the center two on their own switch, and the four wall washes on a dimmer. I guarantee you'll never have the center lights on while you're watching TV. And the wall washes will be dimmed to very low. The two in the center will only be on while you're vacuuming. The wall washes on a dimmer can double as reading lights when they're full on.

Old 03-04-08, 06:15 PM
J
Don't you mean "three rows of two"? Put the center two on their own switch, and the four wall washes on a dimmer. I guarantee you'll never have the center lights on while you're watching TV. And the wall washes will be dimmed to very low. The two in the center will only be on while you're vacuuming. The wall washes on a dimmer can double as reading lights when they're full on.
Sounds good. By the way, can I add and remove the "wall wash" trim pieces easily? I may want to experiment with how they look.

Old 03-04-08, 11:55 PM
F
yes you can remove the wallwash trims but keep in your mind when you slect the wallwash they are typically mounted about half distance of the height of ceiling but it may finetune it a little most wallwash i useally install they are about ave 1 ~ 1.5 M away from the wall depending on where the strong highlight you want.

Merci, Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: