dining room lightning no longer centered over table

Old 03-05-08, 12:13 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dining room lightning no longer centered over table

Hello

I'm wanting to change out my late 70s - early 80s dining room chandelier lighting to a more modern lightning but here's the problem. I am redoing all cabinets in the kitchen and re positioning them so that they protrude into the dining room about 6+ inches thus moving the table from under the light. Any ideas on how to bring the light back over the center of the table without having to cut a new hole in my sheetrock? I was thinking of some sort of track lightning.

(Edit in) I forgot to include that this light is on a dimer switch.

Thanks
Randy

Old 03-05-08, 01:59 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You could feed track lighting or even a swag light. Personally, momma wouldn't like either and I would be relocating the fixture.

Old 03-05-08, 03:46 PM
H
Three options come to mind..

Option 1: install a swag chain, put a hook in the ceiling where you want the light to hang, connect the light where it has always been and drape it over to the hook.

Option 2: they make a decorative cover that mounts to the ceiling that is about 12" in diameter, that's wide enough to cover your old box hole and install a new box where you want one. You can fill in the old box hole and who cares what it looks like since it will be covered, or for that matter put a cover plate over it then mount the decorative plate. these are available in all lighting shops and probably the Home Depot types too.

Option 3: mud up the hole, re-texture, install a new box

Track lighting is OK, I have it in my kitchen soon to be removed... It's too directional and you never have light everywhere.

Old 03-06-08, 07:19 AM
B
Thanks Hotrod for that info I'll have to consider moving the box after all.

Randy

Old 03-06-08, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Randy, make sure you have enough lead in your cable before you begin your box move. If you have my luck, it will be at the end of the run in the wrong direction. Hopefully you will have enough slack to make the move. The reason for mentioning this, is you can't permanently cover up a junction box, with one of those big uh-oh covers that look like they came from a castle in the 1400's. Do you have access from above? If not, you may be able to install one of the spanner bar type ceiling fan brackets from below in a new hole, feed your cable into it, and patch the other hole. Good luck with the install.

Old 03-06-08, 04:34 PM
H
Chandler.....excellent point and one that I forgot about! You can never have a junction box that you can't access, ie cover it up with one of those 12" decorative covers! The same scenariojwould still work, just patch the hole where the box was and the cover covers a multitute of plaster patching sins!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: