Dryer outlet not working. Dimming lights oh my!

Old 03-11-08, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer outlet not working. Dimming lights oh my!

Before we get the electricians out I thought I would get some input as to what may be going on with our electrical wiring.

We noticed dimming lights in the garage a month or so back. Shortly after an outlet in the garage stopped working. today our dryer was not working. not getting any power what so ever. we checked the obvious such as checking the breaker, making sure dryer door was closed etc. We even tried plugging in our old dryer (that was working last time it was in use) and no power. I don't think its likely that both dryers are broken.

Do any of these problems seem major? We are clueless about any of this stuff and we just want to know what we are dealing with from some of you experts who might know. There are no other problems with electrical in the house just the garage and an outside light next to the garage.

any info would help.

as usual I come to this place when I need answers to my money pit house so thanks ahead of time!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-08, 09:27 AM
Just wanted to add that the washer next to the dryer works great and all other outlets seem to be okay.

To clarify, I have one 3-prong outlet for our electric dryer not working, a regular outlet located on the same wall not working and garage lights that start off dim and then go fully bright within a minute or two of being turned on.

Old 03-11-08, 10:40 AM
Save grief--CALL ELECT. REPAIR GUY

Old 03-11-08, 11:55 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Could be a problem with one of your hot leads into the house.

Old 03-11-08, 02:03 PM
Your dryer should be on a 30 amp breaker. If the breaker is not tripped (try turning the breaker off, then on in your service panel) you should show 120volts to each hot leg to ground in the receptacle - 240 between the hot legs. Your dryer problem should not be affecting the lights in your garage. The dryer breaker may be faulty in which case you would need to replace it. Call a competent repair person

Old 03-11-08, 10:33 PM
Are there any other electrical problems in the house? Check all your outlets (I would use a lamp).

If approximately half don't work, or if you notice lights dimming or getting really bright and burning out frequently, you may have a problem with your electrical service.