new ceiling fan install

Old 03-12-08, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new ceiling fan install

I'm going to install a ceiling fan and want to wire it to a switch that operates the fan/light independently. I ran wire/power from a receptical (at the end of a run) going into the spot I want to mount a switch (blk, wht, bare). I purchased a Hunter switch model27183. It says for 3wire connections. What does that mean? do I need to have an additional red wire running from my receptical to the switch location or to the fan location? If so where do I connect that wire? (with the blk off the receptical)?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-08, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Most likely it needs a blk/red/white and ground between the switch and the fan box. This would allow 2 independently switched hots, one for the fan, one for the light kit.

This should all be in one cable, not just add a red to the 2 wire + ground cable.

Old 03-12-08, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use 3 conductor cable between the switch and fan. In the switch box, the black from the receptacle gets connected to both switches with pigtails. The other terminal on one switch gets connected to the black going to the fan. The second switch gets connected to the red wire going to the fan.

Old 03-13-08, 05:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do as the others said, or, since it is a Hunter, buy a Hunter remote control module, install it in the canopy, and install the remote control on the wall next to or over the single switch. You can separately control the fan and light from that point without having to run the new 3 wire cable. Just a thought to save time. Otherwise, what they said.