Recessed lights in stairwell down to basement

Old 03-14-08, 06:16 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed lights in stairwell down to basement

Does anyone know if it's legal to install recessed lighting directly under stairs?

Directly above the stairs to my basement is the underside of the stairs that lead to the 2nd floor. I strapped this area and want to place two 4" recessed cans there and then cover with 1/2" drywall.

Or what do most of you guys do for lighting the treads for basement stairs?

Thanks Much,
Mike in VA

Old 03-15-08, 04:32 AM
F
You can but per the NEC code [ it came up not too long ago but i don't have excat details but i will post it as soon i get correct info ]

you will may need more than one luminaire to cover the stairway. the lightspread pattern have to be able light up all threads on the stairway.

this is rather common issue with the stairway that why i always put in more than 1 luminaire on the stairway typically i do useally have two installed have one up top 1/3 way up and second one near bottom 1/3 so it will cover both way [ based on recessed cans but surface luminares simuair sisuation] [ btw this is one of few common code volitation what the building inspector get this ]

the other option you can add a step light [ click on the link on the left ]

that one of few options you can go really tell you the truth there is quite few ways to meet the code

Merci, Marc

Old 03-21-08, 11:21 AM
A
I just put two 4" stainless steel cans under our stairs. I cut a whole through the drywall under the stairs and they work fine. I wouldn't use 5"+ cans.(May not fit under stairs!)

goodluck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: