Need to shift hall light fixture slightly...

Old 03-23-08, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to shift hall light fixture slightly...

Hi. I'm replacing a light fixture in my hallway. It appears that there is ductwork running the length of the hall that prevented the original builders from positioning the junction box centered in the hallway, so it is shifted towards one wall.

My new light fixture has a larger diameter and I would like to be able to mount it to the existing junction box, which I can't move, but shift the fixture over by approximately two inches. Is there some kind of offset mounting bracket available that would allow me to do that?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-08, 07:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
In over 20 years in the trade I have never seen one.

Old 03-24-08, 08:40 AM
I may take some "code related grief" on this - but, I've had to, on at least one occasion, install the light fixture by attaching it to the wall/ceiling instead of the electrical box due to the box not being centered properly. If the base of the light fixture covers the existing hole and the wiring isn't crimped or rubbing against edges - then I feel safe.

Old 03-24-08, 09:59 AM
I have one question is that hallway junction box can be accasable from above ?? if so you can nail on a 2X4 on it but make sure you dont get the junction box touching the ductwork other wise it will make noise by rubbing the housing when the A/C or furance is running.

Thezster.,, just a head up from a electrician's view I will advise becarefull what you say there [ this is not a threat ] but for safety sake what if the exsting circuit do not have grounding wire there ?? that can get instering and also how well you can secure the luminaire like that ?
Myself i did see few like that and it not really good idea try to that what you describing there.

Merci, Marc

Old 03-24-08, 10:28 AM
Point taken... I assumed a ground wire to the fixture would be present and utilized...... Perhaps I assume too much! I certainly will bow to the pros on this one.

Old 03-24-08, 10:43 AM
Thezster.,,

ok no probem at all., all i am doing is make sure everyone doing in safe manner that all.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-24-08, 03:53 PM
Thanks muchly for the suggestions. I think I may have to take the "code-related grief" route. There is a ground wire and I only need to move it an inch or two. I can slot the original hole in the ceiling to ensure the wires don't bind. The new fixture has twice the diameter of the old one, so it will easily cover everything up nicely.

Thanks again.