Puck lights to a low profile junction box inside cabinets?

Old 03-30-08, 05:44 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Puck lights to a low profile junction box inside cabinets?

I am going to add puck lights to my kitchen remodel..I haven't install the cabinets yet, until I figure out how to hook up my puck lights. I'm pretty comfortable with electricity, have the wall switch and power feed ready to go. Question is am I better off to just hard wire the puck lights (zip cord to 14-2) and hide these connections in a low profile junction box inside the wall cabinets, or just plugging the cords into hidden outlets inside the cabinets? I really don't want to plug them in exisiting outlets that are above the counters. Whats my best bet? It's only three puck lights, two on one wall with sink and window in between, and 3rd on opposite wall.
Thanks!
GAM

Old 03-31-08, 12:43 PM
S
I don't think you can "hardwire" zip cords to 14-2. How would the zip cord exit the junction box? I would go with the outlets inside the cupboards. The 12-2 must be ran in a "protected" place. The zip cords must be accessible and not be ran in a "protected" place. The experts may comment further, but code seems to be specific about which cables must be hidden, and which must be accessible.

I'm assuming that you didn't tap into a countertop receptacle for this, and that your 14-2 cable is connected to a 15 amp breaker.

Old 03-31-08, 01:00 PM
F
is those pluck light are low votage or line voltage type ?? they are pretty picky with distance on low voltage verison and also with the transformer location some are pretty picky where you can install it

however you can not run the zip cord in the wall [ the NEC and CEC do not allow it ] however you can make the splice useing a approved junction box there are few low profile verison there.

for undercabent light they are not allowed to hook up to the SABC [ small appalince branch circuit] at all they have to be on the lighting circuit unless it is a factory connected set up.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-31-08, 01:08 PM
Wink

If they are not LED lights . Dont do it at all . Have had two fires here from puck lights . They get so hot that they start a fire on the cabinet wood.

Old 03-31-08, 01:19 PM
F
Thanks for the head up Ed.,,

as my past expernice i have the same issue with some of my customers have few plucks manged to get on fire due small halogen bulbs get so hot and char up the wood

for myself i rather use the Xenon or flourscent both are much cooler than halogen but however i dont have much experance with LED undercabent luminares yet so i really can't comment on that one yet.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-31-08, 02:00 PM
T
They are 120 Volt puck lights..no transformers involved here, it came with the cord and plug. I realize I cannot put the zip cord thru the wall per NEC restrictions. Looks like plugging them into outlets inside the cabinets is my only shot?

No I do not plan to cut into the SABC- the puck lights will be on a separate circuit with 14-2 wire and a single pole switch on the wall. I don't see the need to use the heavier 12-2 wire, thats expensive enough as it is..

French- how do I make the splice if i cannot run the zip cord thru the wall behind cabinet? Do I just screw the junction box to inside of cabinet and then run the cord thru a hole in bottom of the cabinet to one of the box's punch outs?

Thanks for your insights!

Old 03-31-08, 06:47 PM
S
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
however you can not run the zip cord in the wall [ the NEC and CEC do not allow it ] however you can make the splice useing a approved junction box there are few low profile verison there.
ToolingAround7, sorry for my incorrect answer, it looks like you can hard wire them

There have been some lively discussions on other threads regarding "hardwiring" extension cords, power strips, etc.

I would think the junction box would need to be in the cupboard or just under it. You could also buy lights that are hard wired, then just run the 14-2 right to where the lights are (you will need a section of conduit between the light and the wall).

Old 03-31-08, 09:41 PM
F
Strategery.,,

with undercabent luminaires they are very fine line to cross over and too easy to get screw up if not carefull with it.

as long the manufacter have very spefic instuction about splicing then follow it very carefull with it otherwise i rather see the splice in the approved junction box.

ToolingAround7.,,

If you don't mind tell me what manufacter the undercabent light you will be planning to install ?? maybe i know some of it and can pass the tip to you.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-02-08, 02:05 PM
T
They're the 120-volt Utlilitian (sp?) brand of Xenon puck lights, sold at lowe's.. I threw away the packaging after cutting the box open.

Is there such a receptacle cover that comes with a center punchout where a plastic clamp can be used to bring in the zip cord wire, from the outside while the 12-2 wire comes from inside the wall, to do the splice? I can't have the 12-2 exposed outside of the wall, if I understand correctly. I need to do the same with hardwiring my new microwave/hood underneath cabinet..

Otherwise, I may just have a short run of exposed 12-2 from the hole in wall to junction box. tried to find pictures of this set up online but no luck yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: