Wiring for new ceiling fan with two 3-way switches

Old 03-31-08, 06:24 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring for new ceiling fan with two 3-way switches

I'm replacing a ceiling fan/light combo but made a mistake and didn't keep the wires straight when I removed the old light/fan. Power to the old fan was controlled by either switch on both ends of the kitchen. Both switches have 14/3red/white/black/ground wires going into the ceiling box. Power comes from 14/2 wire into one of the switches. Fan has Black, Red, White and Green wires. How should the wires be connected in the ceiling box?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-08, 08:11 PM
J
Received 207 Votes on 183 Posts
How was the fan controlled? Switches contolled the light? the fan and the light? The fan was controlled by the pull chain?
Need a better description of the cables in the switch boxes. I think you are saying you have two 3 wire cables in the fan one from each switch, one 3 wire cale at one switch and one 2 wire and one 3 wire cable at the other switch.

Old 04-01-08, 04:15 AM
K
For the previous fixture, either switch provided power to the entire fixture, but not just to the light or fan. Both the fan and light had pull chains and normally, the chain for the light was "on" and the chain for the fan was "off". In that configuration, either switch would turn the light on or off. If we wanted the fan on, we'd use the pull chain but the power from one of the switches would need to be on.

I believe your discription of the wiring at the switches is correct. There is only a three wire cable at one switch, a two wire cable (assume it brings power) and a three wire cable (assume it goes to ceiling) at the other switch. Coming out of the ceiling are two three wire cables (each with red, black, white plug ground wires). Do you need to know which wires are attach to what part of the switches?

Old 04-01-08, 05:24 AM
J
Received 207 Votes on 183 Posts
Need to know where you need help. The old unit had two wire plus ground connected to it. Use the same two wires.
Connect the fan red and black to the hot (could be black or red).
Connect the white to the white.

Old 04-01-08, 06:38 AM
K
Coming out of the ceiling box are two cables, each with 1 black, 1 red, 1 white, and a copper ground (8 wires total). On my first attempt, I connected the two reds from the ceiling. I connected the black and blue wires from the unit to the two black wires from the ceiling. I connected the white wire from the unit to the two white wires from the ceiling, and then connected the green wire from the unit to the ground wires in the ceiling. I then reset the circut breaker. When I hit the switch, I blew the breaker. Next attempt, I connected the black from the unit to the two blacks. I connnected the white from the unit to the two whites, and I connected the blue from the unit two the two reds. Same result, it blew the circut breaker. So this is where I'm stuck. I really apreciate your taking the time to read this and help.

Old 04-01-08, 09:26 AM
F
oh man .,,

ok this what my suggest to do is keep the breaker for that circuit off for now and remove the switch off from the wall but do not unhook any wire at all just look at the connection on the switch itself and make a note what is common and what is trallaver [ the common screw will be darker colour screw or marked " common " ] the trallver wires you leave the connection alone in the fan box like example

white and red used for trallver in the fan box just wirenuted them and leave them alone

if black wire is used for common that the one to use to hook up the fan / light combo

that should work if not let us know myself or other members here can make a quick wiring digaram to see how it hook up proprely

Merci,Marc