Best lighting for an above vanity soffit

Old 04-01-08, 09:35 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best lighting for an above vanity soffit

I am installing a bathroom in the basement and to utilize the most space, and since there is a 3 inch toilet drain against the wall, my contractor put a soffit going across the back area where the toilet and sink/vanity will be. Can someone tell me the best lighting to use? Should I add track lighting? Recessed cans or eyeball in the soffit and maybe a sconce, one on each side of the mirror? I really didn't want a soffit but what can I do

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Old 04-01-08, 11:28 PM
F
you can talk to the contractor to see what they intened to run the soffit.

to pick a luminaire in bathroom it really varies alot depending on the taste or theme you slect if you going fancy side or just a simple one

there is alot of choice to make.

you can stop by one of the big box store and look at the lighting display or lighting centre one of the two will give you some idea what it will look like

Merci,Marc

Old 04-02-08, 07:13 AM
D
He put a soffit in because the bathroom wall was pushed back another 3 inches to accomodate a 12 inch toilet... The previous contractor 'screwed' up the framing/wall and it only allowed my to add a 10 inch toilet. So he pushed the wall back about an inch from the wall instead of 4 but there is a 3 inch drain pipe there... Instead of cutting the studs to accomodate the 3inch drain, he mentioned about putting up a soffit and have it go across the entire back wall so it would look good instead of just above the vanity... The toilet is also on the back wall..

I was thinking about maybe putting track lighting on the soffit but then it had me think that it might block the mirror as would eyeball canned... So I think the only option would be 2 canned recessed in the soffit and 2 wall sconces, 1 on each side...

Old 04-02-08, 07:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Recessed light over the sink area will result in a lot of shadows under the brow line and chin area. Think of holding a flashlight above your head and trying to do makeup.

Sconces will provide much more even lighting around the mirror area.

Old 04-02-08, 10:47 AM
D
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Recessed light over the sink area will result in a lot of shadows under the brow line and chin area. Think of holding a flashlight above your head and trying to do makeup.

Sconces will provide much more even lighting around the mirror area.
What should I put in the soffit? Nothing? If I had the receessed canned lights in the soffit and the sconces, would that be better then just the sconces?

Old 04-02-08, 11:21 AM
F
It is better have both recessed can and sconces and also just pass the word if you are not useing the CFL at all my suggest use the dimmer along the way so you can turn down a little.

I hope you did add a exhaust fan to remove the funny smell out of the bathroom as well as long you have all the area is still open it will make it easier to do it.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-02-08, 11:41 AM
D
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
It is better have both recessed can and sconces and also just pass the word if you are not useing the CFL at all my suggest use the dimmer along the way so you can turn down a little.

I hope you did add a exhaust fan to remove the funny smell out of the bathroom as well as long you have all the area is still open it will make it easier to do it.

Merci,Marc
Yep, i added an exhaust fan/light/nightlight combo. Also a recessed can above the shower... The recessed shower can will be on a dimmer as will the recessed cans in the soffit and the 2 wall sconces... Sound good?

Old 04-02-08, 12:43 PM
F
Yep you got it so far but just want to head up with shower luminaire make sure you get correct trim for shower area it have to be shower rated or wet location trim [ keep in your mind with shower trim they are pretty wattage restricted so check the label on that trim ]

Merci,Marc

Old 04-02-08, 05:07 PM
D
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Yep you got it so far but just want to head up with shower luminaire make sure you get correct trim for shower area it have to be shower rated or wet location trim [ keep in your mind with shower trim they are pretty wattage restricted so check the label on that trim ]

Merci,Marc
Thanks for all your help...

Home depot and my electrican said I can use the same can light that I have been using throughout but I did get a shower trim, I think has a glass circle surrounded by plastic.

Quick question on the soffit again. Should I put a few cans in there, above the toilet also or just 2 above the mirror?

Old 04-02-08, 07:54 PM
F
2 above the mirror will just work just fine.

you can add one above the toilet area but really for myself i kinda stay away from that part due the bathroom can be pretty bright if you designed it right.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: