trouble reaching this fan!

Old 04-05-08, 10:42 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trouble reaching this fan!

so im replacing a poorly installed cieling fan in this room and painting the walls/cieling too:

the only problem is that the cieling there is about 17 feet high, and im finding it difficult to figure out how to reach it...is there any alternative to buying a ~250 dollar 12 foot stepladder? i only have an 8 foot stepladder and a bunch of extension ladders from exterior work.

Old 04-05-08, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
rental place?? No strapping 2 extensions together or anything crazy! Safety first!

Old 04-05-08, 10:54 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Go to the Rental centre they do rent larger step ladders and also the man lift as well [ just head up if you ever use the man lift make sure the floor can handle the weight of the unit ]

the rental centre they do have step ladder that can go high as 16' up but however.,, if you go that route get ahold of your buddy to tag along due the size and weight of the ladder can get you by suprise if not carefull.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-05-08, 03:22 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Tall ladder or scaffolding is the best way. Either visit rental center or borrow from a friend.

Old 04-05-08, 03:53 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
after thinking about it im considering going ahead and buying a 12 foot stepladder because i have a considerable amount of cieling work to do on the entire house over the next few months anyway, so it will definitely get use.

i read that you can estimate a ladder's reach height is approximately 4ft above the height of the ladder for the average adult - do you think a 12ft ladder will be tall enough for this job or do i need to go bigger? im about 6'3 so i think ill be able to reach but i dont want to do anything dumb.

Old 04-05-08, 07:04 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If your ceiling really is 17', a 12' ladder is not going to provide a safe working condition.
You can probably rent some scaffolding and a couple of walk boards for $50 or $60 dollars.
Trying to stand on a ladder that tall and hang a fan is not a fun or safe task.

Old 04-05-08, 07:47 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Ladder safety rules state no standing on the top step. The top platform is not a step. That means you will be standing about 2 feet from top of ladder or at about 10 feet on a 12 foot ladder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: