Recessed can light not working

Old 04-27-08, 11:22 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed can light not working

I have a can light in my kithen that just stopped working...meaning no light bulb works in the can. The can is between floors. I think the can needs to be replaced? I have a new remodel can to use, but not sure how to remove the original one without causing lots of damage to the ceiling. If there is a trick to this...I sure would appreciate someone filling me in!

I have another can in my living room (also between floors) and this one turns on and off when it heats up. There are three on the same switch and I don't want to use flourescent since they are on a dimmer switch. I have tried reducing the bulb size and even at 40, it does this. Again, I think the can is bad and so same problem.

How do you remove a bad can?????

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-08, 11:37 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
many can lights have a thermostat within the can to prevent ovreheating. It can generally be seen on the inside of the can. It is usually a small dark colored thing with a couple wires going to it. They do go bad sometimes. The fact the smaller bulb did not help tends to make me think this one has.

to get a can light out without damaging the ceiling.

a pair if tin snips generally do the trick. after unscrewing any attaching screw that holds the can in, you should be able to remove the can. then, with the snips and little hands, cut the base plate in narrowest part (directly across the center of opening for the can). then cut as needed to remove anything that does not fit through the hole. You may have a few nails or screws that hold a bracket inplace that you can remove as you gain access to them.

be sure the power is turned off AT THE BREAKER when doing this. You don;t want the exciement of somebody walking into the room an saying "boy is it dark in here. How can you work in the dark. Here, let me turn on the lights for you."

Now, those thermostatic devices can be replaced but unless you are sure this is the problem, it will be a waste of time.

for a TEMPORARY test for testing purposes only, you can cut the wireds going to the therm. unit and wire nut them together (after stripping the ends of the wire). If things work, that is your problem. If not, then you have other issues.

remember; this is only TEMPORARY and I'm not winking on this one. They are there for a reason and should not be bypassed permanently.

Old 04-27-08, 06:16 PM
M
Tin Snips

Thanks Nap. I had not thought of using tin snips. that is a great idea. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by nap View Post
many can lights have a thermostat within the can to prevent ovreheating. It can generally be seen on the inside of the can. It is usually a small dark colored thing with a couple wires going to it. They do go bad sometimes. The fact the smaller bulb did not help tends to make me think this one has.

to get a can light out without damaging the ceiling.

a pair if tin snips generally do the trick. after unscrewing any attaching screw that holds the can in, you should be able to remove the can. then, with the snips and little hands, cut the base plate in narrowest part (directly across the center of opening for the can). then cut as needed to remove anything that does not fit through the hole. You may have a few nails or screws that hold a bracket inplace that you can remove as you gain access to them.

be sure the power is turned off AT THE BREAKER when doing this. You don;t want the exciement of somebody walking into the room an saying "boy is it dark in here. How can you work in the dark. Here, let me turn on the lights for you."

Now, those thermostatic devices can be replaced but unless you are sure this is the problem, it will be a waste of time.

for a TEMPORARY test for testing purposes only, you can cut the wireds going to the therm. unit and wire nut them together (after stripping the ends of the wire). If things work, that is your problem. If not, then you have other issues.

remember; this is only TEMPORARY and I'm not winking on this one. They are there for a reason and should not be bypassed permanently.

Old 04-29-08, 07:22 PM
D
Before you go ripping the fixture out, try checking the thermal.
Disconnect the thermal and splice the two wires attached to it with a wirenut.
If the light then works, replace the thermal (don't just leave it out, it is there for your safety and protection).
Also, check the little tab in the bottom of the socket and make sure that it is bent up high enough to make good contact with the lamp.
Please make sure the power is off when you do this.

Old 05-01-08, 01:47 PM
J
Keep in mind that we're only talking about using the tin snips on the bracket that holds the can, not the can itself. The can itself can be removed with no cutting and no ceiling damage.