ceiling fan information

Old 04-28-08, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan information

I am going to install a ceiling fan in my bedroom. Is there a certain size that I need to get. Also what brands are good to get. I am not going to connect the fan to a switch, it will be controlled by the fan itself and/or remote. Do most fans now days come with remotes? What other considerations do I need to take into account?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-08, 01:33 PM
For the bedroom i genrally go with 42 inch or larger depending on how big the bedroom itself.

you want a gentale brezze not harsh wind from it.

AFAIK Hunter , Casomlila [ sp ] , few good other they don't have much issue with it.

some of the ceiling fan do come with remote but some you will have to add one to it most of the remote contoller will be in the canpony bell and you will have to follow the instruction very carefull with connetions.

however this is my trick leave the standard switch there first so you can able test run the fan to make sure it is working propely before you hook up the remote contoller up [ some are hard to replace ] then you can go with remote route you can leave the wall switch on or just by pass the wall switch [ that part i am not too crazy but it done before ]

you will have to look around what you like there are thousand of sytle of fans and light combo .,, oh yeah some do come with flourscent lighting IMO they are ok but don't dim very well.

hope that help you with some info you need to know

Merci,Marc

Old 04-28-08, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I can't believe Marc didn't mention this , but what is in your bedroom now? You need to make sure the box is rated for a ceiling fan. I believe it will be marked on the inside of the box? If not you will need to replace it with a rated box.

Old 04-28-08, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I can't believe Marc didn't mention this , but what is in your bedroom now? You need to make sure the box is rated for a ceiling fan. I believe it will be marked on the inside of the box? If not you will need to replace it with a rated box.

LOL but i am not full awake and thank for catching this and the same time having some issue with this website [ that diffrent story for now ]

here one type of fan box

that one of few common one but there is other verison on market it will be on the side of 2X4's and other verison is pancake box

Merci,Marc

Old 04-29-08, 12:48 AM
There is nothing on the ceiling right now. The switch contols a receptacle which has a torch lamp plugged into it.
I have access to an attic area above the bedroom ceiling. Not sure if i can add it to the current cuircuit that runs above that room. It has a bath light/fan combo and a few other lights on that circuit.

Old 04-29-08, 02:15 PM
You can able add this to the genral lighting circuit before you do that i will give you a frenidy advise to you some of the luminaires some of them will used the switch loop so that one part you have to be carefull with that when you add the circuits.

and check the bathroom light when you hit the breaker off check the bathroom repectale to make sure they are not on the same circuit otherwise you may run into some issue [ hope not then you will be fine with it ]

you may want to pick up wiring simpleied [ sp ] book at any big box or hardware store they may show some pretty good picture and details for correct way to do this.

wish ya the luck with it.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-29-08, 03:00 PM
Due to the fact that there is no light there now. Do I need to add support to the ceiling? How are the fans usually mounted. After I figure out where I want the fan located and cut my hole in the drywall (ceiling) will the fan come with a mounting kit?

I actually have wiring simplified i will take a look.

Thanks

Old 04-29-08, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The fan won't come with the box and mounting bar. There should be some info in the book, but it may only address the electrical side. Make sure your location is a few inches from the ceiling joist/rafter, makes it much easier to install the type of box that Marc showed. You can get them the same place you buy the fan for $14-16. You can try to do your own with wood and a rated box, but the metal suuport is much simpler.

The mechanical side is pretty easy, the electrical can be a PITA, depending on what you have available.

Old 04-29-08, 05:31 PM
I have access to the space above the ceiling so I may just put a beam (2 X 4) in. What about wiring is is up to Code to not connect the fan to a switch. It will be controlled byt he pull chain only. Is this OK.

Old 04-30-08, 01:15 AM
yes you can wired to the fan driect but however it will be nice if you make a switch loop so in case in future if have malfunction like a pullchain stuck on either fan or light stay on won't go off then you have to hit the breaker to kill that light it may affected few other circuits as well.

senice you allready have switched repectale in your bedroom so it will work ok direct but for myself i rather get a wall switch hookup then you will have peace in your mind in case something happend to that unit.

when you run the 2X4 stud for braceing make sure you use at least 20d nail or get pretty hevey screw and screw it tight.

for pancake box most useally are 1/2 ~5/8 inch thick depending on the celing materals itself.

follow the instructon very carefully for the fan rated box.

for the wire size it will be eitehr #12 or #14 depending on where you tap the circuit and wire size.

[ #12 = 20 amp max , #14 = 15 amp max breaker size ]

if have more question just holler,

Merci,Marc

Old 04-30-08, 05:39 PM
Thanks French. I might run it to the switch if is not too much trouble. The ceiling joists are 2 X 6's, so should I match the fan support and put a 2 X 6 peice between the joists or do you want a space between the cut out in the ceiling and the support. Sorry if this is confusing. I guess I will be more clear on how to mount the fan when I have 1 in front of me.

Old 04-30-08, 08:09 PM
It will be much easier once you see the whole peices it will come together you can use either metal brace like i show you above the photo or go with min of 2X4 or larger but if you go with the 2X's just make sure you offset the pancake box a little so you can able get the wire[s] in there but keep in your mind that pancake box don't genrally have much room for wire connection espcally if you add a remote controller right in the canpoy bell [ you will see why in a sec ] due the cubic inches on pancake box is very low and it will have engough room for one set of 12or 14 's.

other wise everything should go smooth for ya

Merci,Marc