How to run wires in existing ceiling for remodel recessed lights?

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-08, 05:26 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to run wires in existing ceiling for remodel recessed lights?

I am looking to update my house and install small recessed lighting cans throughout my house. Specifically in the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway and foyer, all of which are on my main floor (there is a floor above, but no access to the main level). I should mention right now, only the kitchen and foyer has existing ceiling lights, the rest of the rooms only have plugged in lamps controlled by switches.

I know how to run the wires for the rooms with lamps to the ceiling, but my question is, am I able to cut 1/2 inches hole through the ceiling joists in order to run the wires from one pot to another? Is there a limit to how many joists in a room can have a 1/2 inch hole without ruining the structural integrity? I don't see any other way of doing this without cutting the holes but maybe there is.

The other question I had was how many cans can I have linked together on one switch? They will be just 50watts halogen bulbs lights and the breaker all of these existing lights are on is a 15amps fuse. I am looking to add quite a few lights, ie. 8 for the kitchen, 4 for the hallway, 8 for the living room, 4 plus a 4-bulb hanging light in the foyer, 8 in the dining room. Again, all of these have there own switches, but are on the same circuit I believe. Do I need to upgrade the fuse on this circuit?

Old 04-28-08, 06:05 PM
F
if you are talking about 3 or 4 inch remodeling cans yes it can be done that way.

there are few items along the ways it will make it eaiser for you to do the task

you will need those items

5/8 or 3/4 inch felxiable drill bit [ they useally come in 4 feet length and they should be found in big box store for this.]

hole saw [ it is common item in big box store but before you buy a hole saw get a remodel can and mesure the diamaiter of the can and get one with closest to the size just a hair over is fine but not like half inch or bigger gap if you get my drift on this one. and run the holesaw in reverse the cutting blade will last much longer and don't get jammed much ]

but before you start get exticing with this here my golden tip get a old steel coat hanger and cut off one end and poke thru the ceiling where you plan to install the can[s] the reason why i say that because sometime you will find it is too close to the joint or ductwork in the way or plumming pipes in the way etc etc .,, and that do pay off more than once because you only have to patch very small hole insted of big hole you have to cover it up.

now let get to the lighting issue here sound you got pretty good plans however the halgoen they useally come in two verison they are line voltage verison or low voltage verison so watch out with that one espcally when you plan to used with the dimmer[s].

with reguar switch you will have no limit on wattage but however if you go with dimmer you have to keep in your mind they have limit on wattage depending on the type of dimmer itself.

most useally rated for 300, 600 and they have 1000 watts unit on hand but the 1,000 watter is getting pricey on that so watch out on that one.

i will just split in two circuits it make it much easier to handle the load there and will any room need a 3 way switches ?? that the other thing you have to think about it as well

and it will be a good time to map out the circuits in the breaker box so you will know where it excatally it run.

the 14-2 or 14-3 are rated with 15 amp breaker while 12-2 or 12-3 are rated 20 amp breaker max

and the last thing i will remind you is watch out the switch box sizing make sure you get deep well type if you can because the dimmer can take up a bit of room if not watchout.

if you have more question just ask us here.

Merci,Marc

Old 04-28-08, 06:39 PM
S
Sorry, but can I get more clarity on what you mean by split the circuit and mapping it out? Are you saying I will need to change the existing circuit so there is more than just the one?

Old 04-29-08, 04:28 PM
S
I have added up the number of watts these lights would use and it's about 2200. Given this, and the fact that the same circuit will also run the plugs on the main level which have TVs, a computer, a treadmill and other things plugged into it, is this too much for a 15amp circuit?

Old 04-30-08, 01:08 AM
F
2200 watt is too much for 15 amp [ 120v ] circuit to handle that why i suggested to map the circuit out first then you can able see how you can split the load up so it will not be overloaded.

The Threadmill will trip the 15 amp breaker easy if run at full speed [ i did see that happend before ]

if you have open attic above the room where you want to work for new luminaires it not too bad to do it and you can pull in new circuits by using inside walls as wire chase due majorty of inside wall are uninsluated so pretty easy to snake it down.

that why i suggest just run new lighting circuit for it then you can really reduce the risk of overloading the exsting circuits especally if you have more than few cans light running at the same time.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: