Replacing ceiling fan/light with light on 3-way switch

Old 05-03-08, 02:06 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing ceiling fan/light with light on 3-way switch

I'm replacing a ceiling fan/light combo that was set-up on a three-way switch. The receptacle has red, black, white, and bare wires connected, respectively, to the blue, black, white, and green wires on the old ceiling fan.

How should I connect the new light's black, white, and bare wires to the ceiling wires? Do the ceiling black and red both go to the black on the new light and then just match up the other wires?

Old 05-03-08, 02:26 PM
J
Received 297 Votes on 255 Posts
Did you have a three switch setup or two separate switches controlling the fan and the light? Where was the recpetacle? I thought we were talking about a fan and a light.
Probably you need to, cap the red wire and use only the black, white and bare wires.

Old 05-03-08, 02:40 PM
G
The light kit for the new fan should have a blue wire for it just like the old one.
The wiring should be the same

Old 05-03-08, 03:12 PM
R
Sorry. Let me try to get this straight. I'm putting in a new light, where there previously had been a fan and a light. I don't think the fan was switched on the wall, but operated solely by pull chain and the three way switch would only affect the lights. ("I don't think" - famous last words, huh?)

Old 05-03-08, 03:38 PM
G
Sorry< I did not read & understand
Connect the red wire in the box (coming from the on/off switch) to the black wire on the new light fixture. Cap the black wire in the box so iot will not short out. Hook the remaining wires to their like kind.

God bless you.

Old 05-03-08, 04:29 PM
R
Thanks a bunch. It's working fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: