Remote with a whole house fan??

Old 05-06-08, 02:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remote with a whole house fan??

Hello all. (san diego Ca)
Had a quick question,I installed a whole house fan and also bought a universal remote for ceiling fans.My goal is to hook the remote up (if possible )to the fan so I can use that instead of having the ugly brass chain hanging down form the vent.The fan works off a pull chain and has only two speeds.
Wires from whole house fan are black/white and ground. I noticed the remote also has those wires and maybe a blue or red one ( I would have to check) If I have to to I can use just one speed with the whole house fan (just slow or hard ) and leave it on that all the time if the remote wouldn't operate both speeds for some reason.The barrier to the remote from the hallway would not be an issue.I can actually see the motor through the vent in the hallway (only about three feet,no obstruction)
Also what would I do..just connect the two black wires from the fan motor and the black wire from the remote (labeled fan motor) and so on for the rest,and then run a 14/2 or 12/2 (which would be best for this ?) wire over to a box in the attic and splice in ?? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Can I splice into any wires or is there a specific box I should look for.
Thanks in advance,
J

Old 05-06-08, 04:41 PM
F
Before i can able help you more details do you know what brand the whole house fan is and what amprage it draw if you can get the nameplate due the motor size will varies a bit most whole house fan useally come in 1/4 , 1/3 , 1/2 and some case 3/4 hp rating and each have diffrent current reqirement on it.

most universal fan remote useally are designed with ceiling fans only due very low current drawage design.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-06-08, 05:35 PM
J
Ok.The fan motor is 2.8 amps and it says 115 house current. The remote is 120 volt fan amp 1.25 .Is this to small? So basically go back and get one that can handle 2.8 amp?( Lowes said that is the highest amp they have for those remotes) If I get one do I just wire the black to black and white to white and then the grounds?
Then get a 14/2 wire and wire it to that and then find a box in the attic to tap into? Any particluar box?
Do you think it would be easier to drop a line down the wall and just wire a twist (two speed knob) in on the wall?

Last edited by jman1; 05-06-08 at 05:37 PM. Reason: whole house fan is from HD 24 INCH DIRECT DRIVE
Old 05-06-08, 05:53 PM
F
Ahh that the situation you got there the remote is too small for that motor useage.

yes you can bring the wires down to hook up a two speed controller like standard wall switch [ let me explain a sec ]

you can use the ON-OFF-ON mantinted concat toggle switch i don't know if the big box store may stock this switch or not if not you can stop by electrical supply centre.

* basically it is a SPDT {single pole double throw } switch format.

i will try to find the connection diagram if i do find it i will post it later.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-06-08, 06:19 PM
J
Ok so I will only be able to use one speed with the toggle switch idea. On / off / On . Or should I just find a remote with enough amps?

Old 05-06-08, 09:50 PM
F
here the picture what it look like

that is the Pass and Seymour switch #1221-I

some big box store may have this otherwise stop by electrical supply for this switch and this is pretty hevey duty but it is designed for your motor useage and the the switch will do is you get the motor run on one speed and move the switch to other postion then the motor run at diffrent speed if your motor have only two hot leads comming out of the motor that fine but if more than two hot leads let us know.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-07-08, 01:35 PM
J
Thanks.Yeah it just has one hot wire coming off the fan.So What gauge wire would I use to wire the fan down to the switch? 14/2 or 12/2 .Also should I put it next to another switch or byitself somewhere (or does it matter)Also what wire do I use to run to a box in the attic? Can I just wire into any box up there or is there something I should look for ?
Sorry for all the questions,you have been a big help though.
Thx

Old 05-07-08, 02:56 PM
F
I will give you a link and this is a PDF file it will take a second or so then let me know this is the correct model you are talking about.

http://www.gaf.com/content/Documents/20510.pdf

just hit the link above

Merci, Marc

Old 05-07-08, 05:31 PM
J
Yupp the second one "good value "
Master Flow ® Direct Drive
Standard Whole House Fans
WHFS24M
• Efficient, Long-Lasting Motor... 1/4 hp permanent split capacitor design
• Easier To Wire... 2-speed pull chain switch controls operation (no wiring through
walls required)
• Better Appearance... Includes super-quiet automatic white ceiling shutters
• Safe...U.L./U.L. Canada listed

Old 05-07-08, 06:24 PM
F
Oh man.,, now that will give me a little challange but i like it but my main condersation is the warranty of the unit if you try to moddifed the unit.

If you try to moddifed the unit it can voided the warranty real quick if have issue with it.

However if you want a wall switch you will need 14-3 or 12-3 wire depending on how you tapped to.

Normally i rather have this on it own circuit so in case something go wrong it will not affect other circuits at all.

I don't know if you did see on the PDF file there is a switch on lower right corner in the link i am not sure if the big box store or place you got it from it may have it on the shelf if not let me know i have few way to do this.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-07-08, 07:18 PM
J
Ok,I will check with the box stores to see if they have either of those switches.
I'll post back/
Thx

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: