Exhaust Fan to cool garage

Old 05-07-08, 11:25 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust Fan to cool garage

Are there any exhaust fans made to go in a garage on your home were it is very hot in the summer after you park your Hot cars in the evening? I have power in the attic and have a thermostat I can use from a chicken house fan. I need something 12" to 16" I would think.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-07-08, 04:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you aren't going to be in the garage, I see no need in venting it. However, if you spend time there, you can install a gable fan in the wall with proper protection to keep your hands from the blades. I have one mounted up high in my shop to evacuate hot air, but it is not thermostatically controlled. I know when it is hot, and flip the switch.

Old 05-10-08, 08:44 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Look at WW Grainger.
They have most every fan known to man.

Old 05-11-08, 10:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Not sure but you may want to check to see if there are any issues concerning the fire rating of the garage being violated by the fan. Do you have a building department where you live?

If you were to have a fire in the garage it could spread with the fans assistance or through the ducting.

Old 05-11-08, 12:12 PM
Hopefully he was talking about installing the fan to exit to the atmosphere. I may have had the incorrect impression. That is why I use a spst switch rather than an automatic thermostat.

Old 05-11-08, 05:31 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Something else to be very concerned about is where will the "make up air" come from to replace the air exhausted?

If the furnace/boiler and fuel-fired water heater are located in the garage then you will need even more make-up air to prevent downdrafting through the flues of these appliances.

And what will you do in the colder months to control excess outside air coming in?

Old 05-12-08, 04:58 AM
I should hope the fan would be for cooling in the warmer months, and not be needed in cooler ones. I usually just leave the 12' sliding doors open and use it for air movement/extraction. Maybe I'm missing the point, here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: