Alternatives to recessed lighting for a theater room

Old 05-22-08, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alternatives to recessed lighting for a theater room

I have created a theater room located in my home's basement. The last - and final - step to finish off the room is lighting. Currently, the room has one light fixture mounted in the middle of the room. It's harsh and creates a reflection in the plasma tv screen that is mounted on the wall.

I have mounted a bias light behind the tv which helps to dull the strain on our eyes while watching movies in a darkened room... but I would really like to have the ability to add some other ambient light.

Ideally, I would like to have recessed lighting that is aimed at the walls down the side of the room (the room is approximately 18ft long by 14ft)... but I really don't want to cut in to the dry wall on the ceiling AND there is a bump out that houses an air duct that runs down the left side of the ceiling (it hangs down about 1 ft. and is comes about 1ft. off the wall).

I've considered something like T-Trak... thinking I could mount the rail centered where the current ceiling light is... and then bend the rail in a u-shape with small lights aimed off the track. This seems viable because some the lights appear to be uni-directional (so, if I had a light aimed down to the base of a wall, the light emitted by the fixture would be blocked from reflection in the tv by the sides and the back of the fixture itself.

Just curious to know if anyone has any suggestions or experience in this dept. Obviously, I'd like it to look as discrete and sleek as possible... but I'm operating on a budget so I need to keep that constraint in mind.

Thanks for all of you thoughts in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-08, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How about some rope lighting hidden behind cove molding around the ceiling of the room?