Replacing Non IC Recessed with IC Without Attic Access

Old 05-22-08, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Non IC Recessed with IC Without Attic Access

Hi,

My question concerns replacing several Non-IC 6" Recessed housings with IC rated Remodel fixtures. I have two situations, some with attic access; some without attic access. I am primarily concerned with the mechanics of removing the old housings in both situations.

No Attic Access:

1. Is it possible to remove the original new construction Non-IC fixture from the living space without attic access and without cutting open the drywall?

I know the existing fixtures have a mounting hanger between joists; they also have a hanger tab located between the drywall and the joist, indicating they were installed before the drywall. I also know the housing cylinder can be detached from the rest of the fixture and can be pushed up, allowing access to the existing junction box.

With Attic Access:

2. I also have some Non-IC housings with attic access. However, they have the hanger tab between the joist and the drywall. With attic access, can I assume the existing hangers can be removed whole, or would I have to cut them off to remove the bulk of the housing?

Thanks
rjp

Old 05-22-08, 10:51 PM
F
Originally Posted by rjp01 View Post
Hi,

My question concerns replacing several Non-IC 6" Recessed housings with IC rated Remodel fixtures. I have two situations, some with attic access; some without attic access. I am primarily concerned with the mechanics of removing the old housings in both situations.

No Attic Access:

1. Is it possible to remove the original new construction Non-IC fixture from the living space without attic access and without cutting open the drywall?

I know the existing fixtures have a mounting hanger between joists; they also have a hanger tab located between the drywall and the joist, indicating they were installed before the drywall. I also know the housing cylinder can be detached from the rest of the fixture and can be pushed up, allowing access to the existing junction box.
With majorty of cans just unscrew the cans will slide down and you can able reach to the junction box.

And with new remodel can[s] with the same size you can able reslide it in without much diffuctally. But for some reason it wont go in just take a tin snip and cut one part of bracket then it will able expand little bigger what you need to slide in.

Originally Posted by rjp01 View Post
With Attic Access:

2. I also have some Non-IC housings with attic access. However, they have the hanger tab between the joist and the drywall. With attic access, can I assume the existing hangers can be removed whole, or would I have to cut them off to remove the bulk of the housing?

Thanks
rjp
Sure with the area you can reach easy just take a hevey screwdriver some of them will just popped out of the joist due majorty of them use nail to hold it in the place.

But some cans can be little more tricky some case they run nail below [ kinda rare ].

then you can install the new can pretty easy from above in the attic.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-23-08, 09:26 AM
... And with new remodel can[s] with the same size you can able reslide it in without much difficulty. But for some reason it wont go in just take a tin snip and cut one part of bracket then it will able expand little bigger what you need to slide in...

Merci,Marc
Thanks for the quick response!

Can you leave the old junction box in the ceiling and still get the new remodel housing in as described?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: