Mercury Yard Light

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-26-08, 08:02 AM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 115
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mercury Yard Light

I installed a Mercury yard light in 2002 and now the light is starting up & lighting and going back off about 4-5 times a night, is this the bulb or a ballast going bad?
 
  #2  
Old 05-26-08, 04:30 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,965
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
With Mercury lamps it could be either, or it could be the light sensor, or photocell. I would definitely replace that first just to see if that helps. They usually twist off and are cheaper than either the ballast or bulb.
 
  #3  
Old 05-26-08, 04:38 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 115
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since its on a 40' pole and i have to get a truck with a lift bucket to get up there its probably cheaper & easier to just replace the whole thing again.
 
  #4  
Old 05-26-08, 06:51 PM
F
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,807
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With the Mercury vapour bulb last up to 6 years in dusk to dawn lumiaires.

That sound right most last about 20,000 ave life before they burn out.

Just get a new bulb most use the 175 watt type but some use 250 watts so check out the ballast rating.

Most useally are less than 30 bucks depending on where ya get it.

If you want to install the new one that fine as well other wise you can go with new Metal Halide luminaire they can save a bit of power along the way or can get in High Pressure sodium [ it will give out orangeish colour simauir to most street light you see around there unless it kinda bother ya then go with MH { they have very nice colour charatics more whiteish than either HPS or MV are}]


100 w MH = 175 W MV

Merci,Marc
 
  #5  
Old 05-26-08, 07:32 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 115
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
With the Mercury vapour bulb last up to 6 years in dusk to dawn lumiaires.

That sound right most last about 20,000 ave life before they burn out.

Just get a new bulb most use the 175 watt type but some use 250 watts so check out the ballast rating.

Most useally are less than 30 bucks depending on where ya get it.

If you want to install the new one that fine as well other wise you can go with new Metal Halide luminaire they can save a bit of power along the way or can get in High Pressure sodium [ it will give out orangeish colour simauir to most street light you see around there unless it kinda bother ya then go with MH { they have very nice colour charatics more whiteish than either HPS or MV are}]


100 w MH = 175 W MV

Merci,Marc
Thanks Marc,
Are any ofthe lights you mentioned longer lasting than the mercury?
 
  #6  
Old 05-26-08, 07:46 PM
F
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,807
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No,.. All the HPS and most of Mercury Vapours are rated for 24,000 hours and Metal Halides useally anywhere from 12,000 to 20,000 hours.

but just wondering senice you mention you mounted on 40 foot pole what wattage the luminarie you have on there ??

The most common wattage on the HID dusk to dawn luminaires are 100, 150,175 , 250 and 400 depending on what size and manufacter it have.

{ sure they few larger one but i will leave this out for now }

Merci,Marc
 
  #7  
Old 05-26-08, 07:59 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 115
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
No,.. All the HPS and most of Mercury Vapours are rated for 24,000 hours and Metal Halides useally anywhere from 12,000 to 20,000 hours.

but just wondering senice you mention you mounted on 40 foot pole what wattage the luminarie you have on there ??

The most common wattage on the HID dusk to dawn luminaires are 100, 150,175 , 250 and 400 depending on what size and manufacter it have.

{ sure they few larger one but i will leave this out for now }

Merci,Marc
It has what came with the light 175W
 
  #8  
Old 05-26-08, 08:12 PM
F
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,807
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ahh.,, Ok that is common one.

Many big box store and hardware store will stock the bulb on the shelf.

Just grab a new bulb and stick it in it will work just fine.

Merci,Marc
 
  #9  
Old 05-26-08, 08:22 PM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 115
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Ahh.,, Ok that is common one.

Many big box store and hardware store will stock the bulb on the shelf.

Just grab a new bulb and stick it in it will work just fine.

Merci,Marc
Thanks, I will get a bulb and have someone go up and install it. Just wondering why the old original fixture bulb installed in 1978 lasted until 2002 and this one only 6 years.
 
  #10  
Old 05-26-08, 08:50 PM
F
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,807
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It depending on which manufacter do make the bulb some make very good qulainty bulb and some so-so and some really crappy bulb as most manufacter do spec the X numbers of hours before they burn out.

Some will burn out sooner some will burn out much later.

Typically most Mercury Vapours when they burn out they useally go dim over the time it will lit yes but not very bright when near end of bulb life.

and my thumb of rules after second relamping even third relamping i put in new photocell on the luminaire so that way it will useally never fail on me unless i get bad batch [ it will happend once a while.,, ]

Most common plain jane Dusk to Dawn luminaires the photocell useally located top of the luminaire and pretty easy to get to it just twist on and off.

this is one of the common one look like




and that one should be about 15 buck or so depending on where ya get it.[ yeah they have few diffrent type so watch out when you get the replacement ]

Merci,Marc
 
  #11  
Old 05-27-08, 07:26 AM
R
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 115
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
It depending on which manufacter do make the bulb some make very good qulainty bulb and some so-so and some really crappy bulb as most manufacter do spec the X numbers of hours before they burn out.

Some will burn out sooner some will burn out much later.

Typically most Mercury Vapours when they burn out they useally go dim over the time it will lit yes but not very bright when near end of bulb life.

and my thumb of rules after second relamping even third relamping i put in new photocell on the luminaire so that way it will useally never fail on me unless i get bad batch [ it will happend once a while.,, ]

Most common plain jane Dusk to Dawn luminaires the photocell useally located top of the luminaire and pretty easy to get to it just twist on and off.

this is one of the common one look like




and that one should be about 15 buck or so depending on where ya get it.[ yeah they have few diffrent type so watch out when you get the replacement ]

Merci,Marc
Marc,
Thanks for all the info i appreciate it.
Redvett
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: