is a hallway ceiling fan worth it?

Old 05-26-08, 01:43 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is a hallway ceiling fan worth it?

We have a 2 story townhouse, and being one zone for AC/heat, the upstairs is always hotter than downstairs.

Would it help to install a hallway ceiling fan above the stairs? There is a light figure already there, directly above the stairs, but the ceiling fan would be a couple feet over, in the center of the upstairs landing.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-26-08, 04:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have seen them installed just for that purpose, but mind the width of the fan. Your hallway may be less than 48" wide. Now, they make a "turbo" type fan that really moves alot of air, and have installed them in small areas as laundry areas, etc, due to the limited space. They really don't have "blades", but three tightly twisted wings to move the air.

Old 05-27-08, 06:30 AM
C
We have a large landing at the top of the stairs, so that isnt a problem.

I would have to run the fan on 'reverse' directions as the other fans on the second floor though, wouldn't I?

In the summer, reverse to pull the cold air up from the floor below, and in the rooms, forward, to push it down onto the room? Otherwise, wouldn't it just keep the cold air on the lower level?

Old 05-27-08, 04:25 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Reversing the fan just dictates whether air is pushed down the center of the room or down the walls - both circulate the air.

Old 05-27-08, 05:47 PM
C
Right, but having it pushed down the center of my hallway/stairwell would push it downstairs

Old 05-27-08, 06:16 PM
S
Fan has been on for 7 years

I put in one of these for exactly this purpose. It has run continuously except for an occasional dusting and it does
work. It keeps my thermostat from kicking on so much in the winter.

In a previous home where we rarely used the upstairs I actually made a door over the stairwell. That really works but doesn't look so great.

good luck

Old 06-02-08, 08:35 PM
S
I think the best thing to do, if possible, would be to install a door. The hard part is getting people to keep it closed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: