can't find undercabinet light with built in receptacle

Old 05-27-08, 01:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can't find undercabinet light with built in receptacle

I have been on the phone and web all afternoon. Does anyone here know of a undercabinet light that also has a built in receptacle? Only other solution I am finding is to use a separate light and then use wiremold products for the power strip. Any help appreciated.

I want to dim my lights.

Old 05-27-08, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
A couple of things, will these be over a countertop in a kitchen or dining room? Are there existing countertop receptacles?

How do you plan to power these, plug-in or direct wired?

Old 05-27-08, 02:04 PM
S
total kitchen remodel

they will be mounted under wall cabinets. 18" from the countertop. My wife doesh't want to have a bunch of outlets in our tile backsplash.

Old 05-27-08, 02:07 PM
S
I will be direct wiring these.

Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
A couple of things, will these be over a countertop in a kitchen or dining room? Are there existing countertop receptacles?

How do you plan to power these, plug-in or direct wired?
I will direct wire. Would also consider daisy chain type if they have receptacle (outlet)built in .

Old 05-27-08, 02:45 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Receptacles

Code dictates the number of counter top receptacles based on the dimensions of the counter top, whether you want them or not.

Old 05-27-08, 04:08 PM
S
code??

I thought the code says that an appliance with a 2 ft cord has to be able to be pluggged in from anywhere on the counter. any other info on this?

Old 05-27-08, 09:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
You cannot have the lights wired into the required small appliance circuits. You will need to find another way to provide the receptacles. You also need GFI protection for the countertop receptacles.

Any countertop area 12" wide or greater gets a receptacle. No more than 4' between receptacles. An island gets at least one receptacle. This is a quick summary.

Old 05-28-08, 05:38 AM
S
Guess this solution meets code

one of our neighbors just had a very high end kitchen done in NJ. What they did is use wiremold boxes under cabinets and lights as well. Lights are dimmable and naturally on separate circuits. I was just hoping there was a fixture that would contain both light and power (wired properly on site of course). The wiremold will be more work and money. I will check with architect and local inspector.

Thanks.

Old 05-28-08, 08:00 AM
J
As mentioned, the reason you cannot find such a product is because its use would violate the electrical code. That's not to say that all products sold conform to code, since it is certainly true that, contrary to logic, there are products in the store that are illegal to use.

Old 05-28-08, 08:40 AM
S
Found these fixtures at Grainger

Thanks to all Here on the forum.

I found these and will check in on local codes. Posting the link in case others are looking as well.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...11&submit.y=10

Old 05-28-08, 10:04 AM
J
Many of those products would be legal outside of a kitchen, but not in a kitchen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: