Three fans one switch

Old 05-29-08, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Three fans one switch

I recently aided a friend of mine in wiring a circuit to power three metal commercial style ceiling fans from one 5 watt dial switch. The power begins from a 40 amp breaker in the main breaker box. This then leads to a second breaker box where a 20 amp breaker is being used to power the circuit. The wiring is 12 gauge leading from the breaker to the dial switch and on to the fans. This configuration has already succeeded in burning up the transistors on all three fans and they have been replaced. Now, all fans are once again working, but they either run at full speed or very, very slow and not all spin the same speed. The fans originally came with 5 speed switches, but my friend wanted one switch for all three. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-08, 07:46 PM
Have you tried disconnecting two of the three fans to see if one works properly by itself.

Old 05-29-08, 08:36 PM
The one you got with 5 speed slection fan switch they are useally are wired for single fan only.

I think there is other manufacter fan speed control can be used with 3 fan together.

something like this??

let us know then we can able dail in more better.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-29-08, 09:41 PM
Once I replaced the original transistors, I did hook the switch up to just one fan and it seemed to work correctly. I did not even think about that when I then hooked the other two up to the circuit and observed them all running haphazardly. So the answer is most likely the switch. That is what I get for trusting a man who sales the stuff, but who has probably never done the work. Do you all feel that the switch could be responsible for the burned up transistors? Maybe not enough power getting to the fans to run them properly?