Rats chewed through wires -- any way to fix?

Old 06-03-08, 08:20 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rats chewed through wires -- any way to fix?

My landscape lighting doesn't work since a rat chewed through wiring leading into the garage. Is it possible to splice the two ends together? Something else? Other than buying new landscape lighting, that is. Thanks.

Old 06-03-08, 08:43 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is it low-voltage wire (i.e., probably 12 volts) or line-voltage wire (i.e., 120 volts)? If it's low voltage, it's easy to repair. If it's line voltage, then tell us the exact cable type (i.e., what is written on the cable?).

Old 06-03-08, 09:08 AM
A
For now I can tell you it's just an inexpensive set of half-dozen small lamps. Does that sound like low voltage? If so, how easy to repair?

If it still might be the more high-powered variety, I'll check as you suggest when I get home tonight. Thanks.

Old 06-04-08, 06:45 AM
A
John,

I checked and it's low voltage. I'm looking forward to that easy repair. Thanks.

Old 06-04-08, 08:34 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it's low voltage and above ground and in a dry location, you can pretty much do anything you want. Use wire nuts, or solder the wire, or almost anything else that occurs to you. I suppose I'd just use wire nuts.

Old 06-04-08, 11:40 AM
A
Thanks, John. Interestingly, what first occurred to me was to splice the filaments (?) of the two ends of the wire (sort of braiding them together). That didn't do the trick. Any ideas why?

Next I'll try those nuts you mention -- available at my favorite home improvement store?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: