1000 watt cobra head luminaire

Old 06-19-08, 08:10 AM
nap
1000 watt cobra head luminaire

I know this is a DIY forum but a few of the regular guys here are pros and I need some help.

Anybody know who manufacturers a ballast for a 1000watt cobra-head luminaire? It is currently MV but would prefer to switch to MH (due to the MV discontinuation thing).

240 volt supply

Problem I am having: standard replacement ballast is ~5 inches thick. Current ballast is only 3 3/4" thick. That 1 1/4" is critical as there is the lamp holder bracket mounted over the ballast and anything thicker than current ballast requires mods I would prefer not to perform.

been scouring manufacturers sites and cannot find a listing for such a beast.

anybody familiar with these?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-08, 11:05 PM
Nap.,,

Which corba head luminare head you have there ??

GE or Hubbel or American Electric ? those are most common one i dealt with all the time.

Keep in your mind with old 240v corba head they useally have Reactor ballast in there that why they are smaller than CWA ballast.

Nap.,, Here my suggest get a 400 w MH ballast it is smaller than old school 1000 w MV and it have very simauir light level IIRC.

If you need more info about this you know where to find me .,,

Quick tibbit on wattage / lumius level

1KW MV 57,000 inteal , 28,000 mean
1KW MH 107,000 inteal , 85,000 mean
400 W MH 36,000inteal, 22,500 *
400 W PSMH 42,000 inteal, 32,000 *

* = it will varies a bit if horz or vertical burning postion

Merci,Marc

Old 06-20-08, 02:49 PM
nap
GE or Hubbel or American Electric ? those are most common one i dealt with all the time.
d. none of the above

Westinghouse.

the problem with a typical common ballast now is they are too tall. The current ballast is a total of 3 3/4" tall while the common ballast is 5.05" tall. There is a bracket for the lamp mounted directly over the ballast which does not leave enough room for the 5.05" ballast.

stack is 2 1/4" and the coils add 3/4" on each side.

I don;t have the width and length with me but it is considerably longer than the standard ballast and a bit wider as well.

while I have your ear, the new pulse start and the older probe start fixtures;

what happens if you use a pulse start lamp in a probe start set-up? Or, what would happen if you retrofit a pulse start ballast kit into a probe start fixture (with the PS socket) and leave a PS lamp in it?

It does sound like a 400w PSMH may be the answer though. That way, at least next time I won;t end up wasting time looking for the 1kWMV gear.

Old 06-21-08, 04:42 AM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
d. none of the above

Westinghouse.

the problem with a typical common ballast now is they are too tall. The current ballast is a total of 3 3/4" tall while the common ballast is 5.05" tall. There is a bracket for the lamp mounted directly over the ballast which does not leave enough room for the 5.05" ballast.

stack is 2 1/4" and the coils add 3/4" on each side.

I don;t have the width and length with me but it is considerably longer than the standard ballast and a bit wider as well.

while I have your ear, the new pulse start and the older probe start fixtures;

what happens if you use a pulse start lamp in a probe start set-up? Or, what would happen if you retrofit a pulse start ballast kit into a probe start fixture (with the PS socket) and leave a PS lamp in it?

It does sound like a 400w PSMH may be the answer though. That way, at least next time I won;t end up wasting time looking for the 1kWMV gear.

IIRC the Westinghouse should be pretty much the same size as other corba head but little diffrent style.

Here is the PDF file of 400 PSMH

Hope that will help you with some info you are looking for.

As long you are on my ear i going to ping ya lol just kidding anyway to use the pulse start ballast and lamp on old probe start luminaire .,, Yes you can as long the mogal base socket do have 4 or 5 KV pulse rating. If not you will have to get a new socket.

That part when you change diffrent bulb size you will may end up repostion it anyway due the 400 w PSMH is smaller than old 1KWMV is IIRC the light centre is about 8 1/4 inch while the 400 watter is about 6 inches or so { it will varies a bit depending on which bulb type }

Nap,, If the size you are looking for if not that what you are looking for let me know i can able dig up more deeper.

But there is a 1 KW MH there as well { that will really light up the area very nice more than 2 X what old MV can dish out }

Merci,Marc

Old 06-21-08, 10:40 AM
nap
what I was looking for, and didn;t seem to get across to you is:

without considering the lamp base ( causing you to not use the wrong lamp)

what happens if you use a pulse start lamp with a probe start ballast setup?

and what happens when you use a probe start lamp with a pulse start ballast setup?

Old 06-21-08, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
what I was looking for, and didn;t seem to get across to you is:

without considering the lamp base ( causing you to not use the wrong lamp)

what happens if you use a pulse start lamp with a probe start ballast setup?

and what happens when you use a probe start lamp with a pulse start ballast setup?

Opps sorry and thanks for getting my attetion .,,

Here the senicero event.,,

If used the pulse start MH bulb in probe start ballast the bulb will not lit up [ in majorty of the case ] it is the same idea with the HPS is

If you used probe start MH bulb in Pulse start MH it will lit up but it will destory the starting device inside the bulb itself and with interal starting device destoryed it can still start on pulse start.

The other thing you will have to watch out now they do have open rated bulbs senice you have corba head they useally are enclosed so you should not have much issue but keep in your mind the Universal rated bulb is ok on Horzontal { it will dim a little } for most of the corbaheads on MH verison it is best to get Horzontal bulb [ pulse start that diffrent story they allready dealt with that one so it will not really affect much at all due the arc tube design]

If ya got more question let me know i will be more than glad to help ya.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-21-08, 02:01 PM
nap
Ok, one more question.

I know this sounds quite basic but just want to be sure.

the ballast kits with the igniter- pulse start

ballast kits w/o ignitor- probe start.

yes?

is there an actual difference within the core and coil or could the same core and coil be used with either type of lamp, incorporating the ignitor when using pulse start lamps and leaving it out when not using pulse start lamps?

Old 06-21-08, 03:26 PM
Yes it pretty much sum up but however there is one more step with this all the HID's do have specfic number set up for each type of wattage size and ballast charcatic.

M-59 is common probe start MH

M155*- is common 400 w Pulse Start MH

Both are not interchangeable due the operating current and voltage is diffrent [ it will be pretty close to each other ]

I can able find few other ballast and other size if you want to bump up like 450 or 600 watts MH [ those can get it but little more harder to snag on it lol ]

Merci,Marc

*- there are few diffrent numbers on the 400's so watch out when you get the bulb and ballast just make sure they match up for best performace.