Wife thinks I'm biting off more than I can chew....

Old 07-08-08, 12:01 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wife thinks I'm biting off more than I can chew....

Ok, here's the deal....

We want to put in a new light fixture above our kitchen sink. I have the basic knowledge of how to run the wires. She is concerned that it is more difficult than it appears. I have done some basic electrical work before. Is this something I can do or should I call in a pro.

The biggest thing here is the amount of money they are asking to put in the 1 fixture. Estimates have ranged from $200 - $250.

I also have plans for putting in a new fixture, replacing a pull chain light with a switched light. I would be doing all of that work also.

Total for both fixtures have been in the neighborhood of $400 -$450

Am I biting off more than I can chew?
Is it worth the money to hire a pro?

Old 07-08-08, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Difficulty is hard to assess from here. Is there a lighting circuit nearby that has capacity left to handle the new fixture? Do you mind doing drywall work to cut and patch to get the new wires where you want them?

As a side note you cannot run any lighting from the small appliance circuits in the kitchen or dining room.

Also pull chain lights cannot be used in closets, if you were planning one there.

Old 07-08-08, 02:38 PM
J
The degree of difficulty depends on a number of factors.

If there is an accessible attic above where you want the light, it's easier.

If the wall where you want the switch is an interior wall, it's easier than if it's an exterior wall.

You'll need to find some place to get power from. Most circuits in a kitchen are illegal to tap for this purpose. You need to be creative to find some place to get power. If there is another light switch near where you want the new light switch, that might work (depending on what you find in that box).

If you have any technical skills, such as maybe you were good at math or science in high school, that will make it easier.

I hope you enjoy and are willing to read and learn, as that is an essential trait.

There are probably several million homeowners who have done projects at least this hard. Surely you're as smart as many of them. It ain't rocket science, and nobody was born knowing how to do this. This is actually a fairly good project to learn on.

Start by going to your library or home center. Obtain and read three books on home wiring. After you do that, you'll know whether or not you can do this.

Old 07-08-08, 04:30 PM
G
As far as the 1st light goes....

I am comfortable cutting, patching & painting the drywall. It would be on an exterior wall which complicates things as I understand. I was going to draw off of the garbage disposal for a power source. I hope thats ok because the electricians I have had out so far have said that would be there plan also.

The 2nd is in a guest bedroom/office. That is the one with the pull chain light already there. I would be replacing the fixture and adding a wall switch.

After reading further I was thinking about using a wireless switch here. That may make things a bit easier there.

Any other questions please ask away....

Thanks for th input so far.

Old 07-08-08, 08:03 PM
J
Using the garbage disposal circuit will probably be okay. The new light will flicker when you turn the disposal on and off, so I hope that won't make your wife think that you screwed up.

Old 07-09-08, 12:07 PM
G
ok, need a little more ammo before she'll let me have a crack at this project.

Considering my estimate of $400 - $450, what would a good guesstimate be on total out of pocket savings? We have most of the supplies we need for the job already, 'cept for about 30 feet of wiring, 1 switch, 1 box and 1 cover plate.

On a scale of 1 - 10 on a harry homeowner DIY project what would be a good guess on this project?

Thanks for all the great help so far, I'll keep ya informed!

Old 07-09-08, 06:37 PM
J
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being replacing a light switch and 10 being rewiring the house, I'd give this a 2 or 3.

Old 07-09-08, 10:57 PM
D
Just remember what can happen if it turns out that she is right (if you catch my drift).
You might be better off climbing Mount Everest and hiring an electrician to do the work while you are gone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: