Remove old junction box

Old 07-13-08, 12:48 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove old junction box

I have a light fixture that I have taken down to put a ceiling fan up. It is a metal box but I am not sure if it will hold the fan. I have a new box and a bar to put in the ceiling for more support.

How do I remove the old box from below? I see no attaching hardware.

Thanks
Matt

Old 07-13-08, 12:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will have to get up in the attic or cut away the drywall. The ceiling fan rated junction box needs to be mounted directly to support members from above.

Sounds like you have a typical light junction box, which is just nailed on the sides (unaccesable from below). This will have to be removed.

Old 07-13-08, 01:51 PM
J
You may not need to go up into the attic or remove drywall.

As to how to remove the old box, you'll have to figure it out. You can see it and we cannot. It is probably attached in one of two ways. It might be nailed to the side of a joist. You can probably figure that out by pulling down on each side of the box one at a time. The box will not move at all on the joist side and will bend down on the side away from the joist. In that case, you can gently pry the box away from ths joist and cut the nails with a hacksaw blade (being very careful not to cut the cable).

It may also be attached to a hanger bracket supported by studs on either side. In that case, you can probably just push the box up very hard and bend the hanger and then wrestle it out of the way.

Once you get the old box out, a simple $20 fan brace kit available at all home centers can be installed from below through the existing hole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: