Can I use 240V energy savings bulb on 120V?

Old 07-27-08, 02:30 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I use 240V energy savings bulb on 120V?

We just moved from Germany (240V country) to the US and brought a few energy savings light bulb (we had just left them in some of the lamps we brought). Surprisingly, they ARE working on 120V here in Mass. --- Does any one know whether it is (1) safe to use them on 120V and (2) what the energy use is?

Thanks a ton, Christof

Old 07-27-08, 11:55 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Are they compact flourscent bulb or regular lightbulb ??

If Compact flourscent bulbs it may work but how long that part I can't garrnte how long it will last.

But keep in your mind most of the screwshell { lamp holder or lamp socket } is very close between the North America and Europen verison they are only about 1 mm diffrernce there.

If regualr bulb it will be dim like example a 100 watt bulb at 240 volts and when you hook up to 120 v source it will have about the brightness as 40 watt bulb but the bulb life will last much longer { over 10 X of oringal life rating }

Merci, Marc

Old 07-29-08, 01:03 PM
C
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, we do have energy saving light bulb, not a regular one.

Does anyone know what happens if we use one of those with half the voltage?

Thanks, Christof

Old 07-29-08, 02:52 PM
M
the ballast built into the lamp is designed for the input voltage that is specified which in your case is 240v. If they work as you say, it will probably hurt the lamp and will not get the hours of life that the bulb is designed for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: