Converting Hardwired Light to Cord-n-Plug Light

Old 08-02-08, 03:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting Hardwired Light to Cord-n-Plug Light

I have a chandelier that was originally hardwired and would like to do the conversion so I can use it in another room. Is this legal? If legal, which gauge wire can I use? Thanks in advance.

about the chandelier: It's a fairly new downlight chandelier, metal, and has 3 bulb sockets with 100 watt max each. Two stranded and a bare ground wire attached to it.

Old 08-02-08, 10:08 AM
L
first step is to decide how long a chord you will need.
next, go to your local hardware store, and purchase the decided length of wire that is the same size/gauge as the wire that it was originally connected with, and a male plug heavy enough for the wire
wire the lamp in the same configuration as was IE black = load, white = neutral and the bare wire is the ground/green
then wire the plug end accordingly
hang the lamp, plug it in, turn it on

good luck and have a great day

Old 08-02-08, 09:14 PM
J
Check the store or the Internet for a swag conversion kit.

Most of the time, doing this conversion is not legal, and it may still not be legal even if you buy a commercially available conversion kit (not everything sold is legal).

Note that is always feasible to simply hardwire it in its new location. That's the best approach.

Old 08-04-08, 12:47 PM
M
I've seen some swag kits for chandeliers, but the plug does not contain a ground wire attachment. Furthermore, I have also seen alot of old metal chandeliers (for example, our 70's crystal chandelier) that doesnt utilize the ground wire, or is missing it. Does this pose as a major hazard? Should I just customize the kit and use a cord and plug that contains a ground? Thanks again.

Old 08-04-08, 06:05 PM
J
If the chandelier is not in a spot where people are going to touch it (e.g., high off the floor), then grounding is not critical.

Old 08-08-08, 12:49 PM
M
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
If the chandelier is not in a spot where people are going to touch it (e.g., high off the floor), then grounding is not critical.
The chandelier will not be high off the ground and is easily accessible (about 70 inches from floor).

Question 1: Since the chandelier ground wire is originally bare, with the cord conversion, can the ground wire continue to be bare all the way the plug or does it have to be insulated/ sheathed? I'm asking this because I have extra bare ground wire on hand that I can use as an extension.

Question 2: Can I make the connections outside the chandelier (along the chain that comes in the swag kit) or does it have to be inside the chandelier?

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: